Respiratory Disorders Expert Forum
Reactive Airways / Acid Reflux

This forum is for questions and support regarding lung and respiratory issues. such as: Allergies, Asthma, Bronchitis, Colds - Flu, Chronic Cough, COPD, Cystic Fibrosis, Emphysema, Fibrosis, Lung Abscess, Nasal Polyps, Pleurisy, Pneumonia, Sarcoidosis, Sinusitis, Tuberculosis.

Reactive Airways / Acid Reflux
i've had asthma for years, usually fine. lately, i wheeze just going up stairs. i'm very healthy and not overweight, dr's sd. oxygen level is 100%, yet it's apparent my airways aren't fully open. i've been on all types of inhalers, advair, albuterol, combivent, nebulizer, allegra d, singulair.  you name it i have it.  Yet, I'm still wheezing.  Lately I have this "heartburn" and i was told maybe it's acid reflux. now my dr. wants me to have an upper gi, an esophogram and some type of arethochrine (sp?) challenge test done. it's a test where they cause you to wheeze.... I'm curious to see what you might have to say about this. i can't be around any type of fumes, odors. noone can have perfume on, i'll be somewhere, and if they have any type of perfume on, i can't breathe, i have to move, and i'm sick for the rest of day. i mean, i'm very hoarse and i'm wheezing. i have thought about going to the cleveland clinic if the above tests don't work.  Please let me know your opinion.  god bless. deb
Gastroesophageal reflux disease (GERD) is the back flow of stomach contents, including digestive juices, into the esophagus or food tube.  This is most commonly called acid reflux or heartburn.  This reflux can come all the way up into the mouth and nose.  When this happens the material can be aspirated, dribbling into the windpipe and lungs.  This could explain your hoarseness.  This can also trigger your asthma, causing you to wheeze.  Once your asthma is flared up it is possible for you to be more sensitive to other triggers such as the fumes and odors.

GERD can cause the following symptoms:
Asthma Tracker
Asthma Tracker
Allergy Tracker
Allergy Tracker