Respiratory Disorders Expert Forum
Recovery Time?

This forum is for questions and support regarding lung and respiratory issues. such as: Allergies, Asthma, Bronchitis, Colds - Flu, Chronic Cough, COPD, Cystic Fibrosis, Emphysema, Fibrosis, Lung Abscess, Nasal Polyps, Pleurisy, Pneumonia, Sarcoidosis, Sinusitis, Tuberculosis.

Recovery Time?

I have had sinus drainage that started a week ago and turned into bronchitus (bronchitis). Have taken my last dose of Zithromax. I still have some sinus drainage, ocasional coughing and am quite tired. How much longer should it take before I fully recover? Is it sometimes necessary to take a second dose of Zithromax to conquer this? I also recently had testing done for allergies which showed no results. What are possible causes for contracting bronchitus (bronchitis) in the first place? Will appreciate any info you can provide.
Sometimes sinus infections take a more prolonged course of therapy.  Please discuss this with your doctor.  There is a high incidence of lower airway problems in association with sinus infections.  Getting rid of this infection is the key to preventing the lower airway problem.
Hi c.p. Hope you begin to feel better soon. As for your infection and being on Zithromax (azithromycin), that is certainly one of the drugs of choice for upper respiratory infections like sinusitis and also lower respiratory tract infections like bronchitis. Bronchitis can develop in almost anyone who is susceptible to an infection. The lungs are a dark, warm, moist environment. This is what bacteria like. People that smoke are at a greater risk for developing bronchitis as are those with recurrent sinus infections due to the sinus drainage that can certainly affect the lungs. As for your recovery time, that is certainly subjective, meaning each person is different. It may take you a little longer than someone else. And as for a second dose of medication, that is certainly a question and decision for your doctor to answer. They know what's best. And yes, you may feel tired after being sick (and especially if you still are sick). However, be sure to seek your doctor's advice if you still feel ill or if you feel you are not getting better. Take care and hope you feel better soon.
                                                J.C.I., RCP RRT