Recovery from pneumonia
I have just come home from 10 days in hospital 4 of which where spent in Intensive Care. I am 46 and until this I was very fit. I was struck down suddenly with a severe case of pneumonia plus sepsis and respiratory failure. The doctors has told me recovery will take up to 3 months as I have been very ill and it will be after Christmas before I am starting to feel like I am getting back to normal. It came on very suddenly. I had no cold or flu beforehand. I was admitted to hospital and then the next morning transferred to the Intensive Care unit and placed on a Cpap mask for 4 days before transferring to the Respiratory ward. I was on oxygen for 9 days. I was realised from hospital on MOnday this week. Secondary to the pneumonia was sepsis and respiratory failure. I guess my question is, is the time frame of up to 3 months recovery right, it seems such a long time to me. I am incredibley tired and weak and have lost a lot of weight.  Thank you for listening
I too had terrible pnumonia at the age of 42 (10 years ago) and literally almost died--I lost 30 lbs. in 4 weeks.  They first treated me for the wrong pnumonia which almost killed me the first weekend and refused to keep me in the hospital more than 8 hours because I could treat myself at home as well as they could (they said!).  I took meds for 3 weeks, stayed home sick and weak for 5 1/2 weeks, and then returned to work still tired and weak.  I still have reoccuring bouts with pneumonia and respiratory problems and very concerned.  I think we probably need to seek a specialist's care.
I do not quite know how to do this but I will ask.  I am now battling another major bout with what I think is pnuemonia since 11/17.
I wish you the best.
I hope you can get on top of your pneumonia soon.  It certainly is a battle to recovery some strength and energy.  I wish you well barzdiprocky
I know you can overcome this. You are a very strong person. Consider marking gains that you have made, things you can do now that you coudn't before. Get a system of marking your improvements and it will get you feeling more positive. Othewise you can be victimized by this awful stuff.
I am in my fifth day of recovery from pneumonia. I am walking around the block and am very proud of myself. When I get back I get dizzy and weak but I don't count those symptoms. It ruins my walk.
Lots of Hope here. I guarantee it.