Respiratory Disorders Community
Recurrent lingering pleurisy. Is there help?

This patient support community is for discussions relating to lung and respiratory issues, allergies, asthma, bronchitis, colds/flu, chronic cough, COPD, lung abscess, nasal polyps, pleurisy, pneumonia, sarcoidosis, and tuberculosis.

Last year i contracted pleurisy after sitting (for a short time) in a draft in a wet shirt. Antibiotics didn't help. My Dr. said it's viral and will clear itself. I felt miserable - besides pain there was total exhaustion, low grade fever rising every aftrenoon, profuse sweats (had to change clothes every hour), especially at night. ALL of these symptoms, including hectic fever and sweats lasted ~5 months (between the last week of June to mid November). This is in spite of hot compresses, multivitamin, cod liver oil, vit.C, Echinacea and more. I was fine winter and spring and thought I'd put this nightmare behind. But....At the end of June (~ 3 weeks ago) after being exposed to extermely cold air in a store (in contrast to the heat outside), I came down with pleurisy again, with exactly same symptoms. I've been sick for 3 weeks now with no improvement in spite of treatment - a lot of supplements, hot wraps etc. I dread to think it may take 5 months again. The hectic fever and continuos drenching sweats are unbearable. Two Drs (family and pulmonologist) aren't worried as the Xray is normal. They said I just have to give it more time. I WANT MY LIFE BACK!!! WHAT CAN I DO TO RECOVER SOONER? I CAN'T WASTE ANOTHER 5 MONTHS OF MY LIFE (Also, HAD to quit my job). WILL IT BE REPEATING EVERY YEAR??  Has anybody been in my shoes?? PLEASE HELP!!!!
First of this year, I had pleurisy for 2 months. I experienced the fevers, sweating, etc. What I remember the most about my pleurisy was the pain that went with it. It was very painful. My doctor put me on antibiotics but it still took me 2 months to recover. I remember not even being able to touch the area where the pleurisy was. And I was rather swollen in that area as well. I understand what you are going through. I never want pleurisy again. But, for your pleurisy to last so long and then to re-occur. Well, I am not certain about that. So, I cannot advise you on that. I have lung disease called COPD, so I am certain I may have future bouts with the pleurisy. Hopefully, someone else on this forum can help you better and further. This is a great forum for answers. Best of luck to you.
You can have your life back much sooner.Start doing this today, twice a day(you have time).You will notice a difference from day 9.Come back to report progress, so someone else can benefit.You will gain your health back and live a normal life.Do not give this up.I will answer any questions/comments.I want you to get better.
You need to help your body to build up your immune system.The breathing exercises - pranayam is a holistic approach creating extra oxygen supply in the body and will slowly help with the health problem.Do the pranayam to see the benefits.Build up your timing slowly and after two weeks at the suggested duration you will start to notice benefits.

Bhastrika - Take a long deep breath into the lungs(chest not tummy) via the nose and then completely breathe out through the nose.Duration upto 5 minutes.

Kapalbhati -(Do it before eating) Push air forcefully out through the nose about once per second. Stomach will itself go in(contract in). The breathing in(through the nose) will happen automatically. Establish a rhythm and do for upto 30 minutes twice a day.(Max 60 min/day) Not for pregnant women. Seriously ill people do it gently.

Anulom Vilom - Close your right nostril with thumb and deep breath-in through left nostril  
then – close left nostril with two fingers and breath-out through right nostril  
then -keeping the left nostril closed  deep breath-in through right nostril
then - close your right nostril with thumb and breath-out through left nostril.
This is one cycle of anulom vilom.
Repeat this cycle for 20 to 30  minutes twice a day(maximum 60 minutes in one day).
You can do this before breakfast/lunch/dinner or before bedtime or in bed.Remember to take deep long breaths into the lungs.You can do this while sitting on floor or chair or lying in bed.

Bhramri Pranayam -Close eyes. Close ears with thumb, index finger on forehead, and rest three fingers on base of nose touching eyes. Breathe in through nose. And now breathe out through nose while humming like a bee.
Duration : 5 to 10 times
----
Only by doing you will benefit and will feel good that you can do something to help the body.Copy and print this to master the technique.This is  simplified pranayam for everyone and you do not have to go to classes to learn. This is for life unlike short term classes where you do it in the class then stop when classes are over.
Lynn, Thank you for the response. You said your pleurisy lasted 2 months. Did your fever continue after you completed the antibiotics? How long did you take them? Did you take just one medication? Did you do anything else? I took Keflex (Cephalexin)  - the only antibiotic I am not allergic to (rather, less allergic than to others). I took it for 2 weeks but the fever still continued after that. Because it didn't help, my Dr. concluded my pleurisy was viral.
I am glad you recovered completely. It's a nasty thing. Yes, there is a lot of pain. But I could live with the pain. The worst part for me is unbelievable exhaustion (though my t isn't very high, it feels like 105F), drenching sweats and extreme sensitivity to the slightest draughts - Even the tiny draft from the computer fan causes more pain, chills and a sick feeling you usually get when the temp. is rising.
Take care.
Thank you so much for the recommendations.
Extra O2 always helps, I'm all for it. HOWEVER, every breath (i.e. mechanical movement of the chest) causes a lot of pain. Several breaths in a row seem to aggravate my condition. I have PLEURISY (not bronchitis or pneumonia). I don't have any respiratory complaints (no cough, etc) other than sharp burning pain in the lungs (back, sides, front of chest) and, as a result, superficial breathing. Pleura is the outer sac holding the lung. When it is inflamed, every movement is agonizing. Actually, if too much friction occurs, fluid can start building up in the chest - this is how inflamed pleura protects itself from the mechanical damage of friction (the fluid being a lubricant). That would be a serious complication. I don't want it.
These breathing exercises sound really good. I am sure they are of great help in asthma, cronic (chronic) bronchitis or COPD. But in my case.... It's like asking a person with inflamed knees to do jogging.  I have copied and saved these exercises. I should start doing them when (and if) I recover.
I wonder if for now I try only some of them (alternate nostrils and the "humming") with regular, not deep inhalations - will they help?? I just tried Kapabhati. Couldn't do more than 6-7 intense exhalations. The pain gets unbearable. It seems inflamed pleura needs complete rest to recover.
Thank you again, Stay healthy!
You described the PLEURISY and symptoms very well.
Yes - do bhastrika, anulom vilom and bhramri with normal breathing and eyes closed.Once you can do anulom vilom for 15 minutes, then start kapalbhati with 3 strokes and increase very gradually.
Always stop if painful or uncomfortable.
The extra breathing energises the cells to help the body fight.You will notice very gradual benefits.Keep posting your observations as others are benefiting and i am learning more and more about the body functions.
Press the middle of the palm of both hands about 50 times, to stimulate the kidney, as the breathing creates waste while the cells do the healing.Drink warm water.
You are most welcome. Seems there is good advice from others on how to cope with your pleursy. I am not certain what type antiobiotic doctor prescribed me. The type of antibiotic you take once daily for 5 days. It really did me little good. Still took 2 months or so to recover from the pleurisy. The sweats, fever, fatigue and pain continued even after the regiment of antibiotics. I never went back to the doctor. I am not much of a doctor going type person. I figured it would pass with time. And time it did take. I even had pneumonia and bronchitis with the pleurisy. The pleurisy was the worse of the three. Of course as I stated, I have lung disease. So, these illnesses will be a part of my life now. Try what the others have posted to you. I am even going to remember the techniques mentioned. I know that pleurisy will once again return in time. I get sick a lot in the winter months now with this lung disease. But, I agree pleurisy is awful. Wish you the very best on this. If I can further help, then let me know. This is a wonderful forum with wonderful people on it.
I can't believe you were on antibiotics for 2 months. It's off limits for me. I am allergic to everything. Summer is the worst for me. In winter you can dress warmly, etc. In summer you suffocate without air conditioning, yet you can't have it. This is what caused my pleurisy. This morning, after sleeping with a slightly open window, my temperature shot up again and the inflammation and pain are worse than ever (this is after 2 days without fever when I thought I was recovering). You become extremely sensitive to the slightest draft (both in- and outdoors). It can start you feeling cold, more stitching pain etc, tempreature rises, you sweat and catch more cold. So you have to dress warmer. But if you do -- you start sweating and catch a cold as a result. I have to wash and change my clothes every hour or more often. This low grade fever (99.4)makes me feel like I have 107F - totl exhaustion, can't lift my head from the pillow. It's difficult to do every day things - constant laundry, cooking. My husband brings groceries. Last year it lasted 4.5 months!! With this sudden turn for the worse (after 2 days without temp.) I feel frustrated. Couldn't help crying. Are there any Drs. out there who could help???
Take care and beware of air conditioners and fans.
I was just on antibiotics for 5 days, during the 2 months I had pleurisy. They were suppose to be a very strong antibiotic. I might as well have taken sugar pills. The antibiotic did not work. After this regiment of the 5 day antibiotic, the pleurisy lasted several months more. I probably had pleurisy about 2-3 weeks before I went to the doctor. So, roughly I had it for approximately 3 months. Have you possibly attempted to see a pulmonary doctor? I never had pleurisy in my life before this past winter. Summer time for me is very hard. Due to the heat and humidity. I have lung disease. And when it is hot and humid breathing becomes difficult. I have to stay inside with AC during these hot humid spells. Today, we had air quality advisory in our area. So, that means people with lung disease need to remain indoors with AC as much as possible. Still the AC does not totally solve the problem. Winter time is hard on me as well. That is when I get sick the most. With lung disease the immune system is compromised. Even a cold can turn into something dangerous. I had pneumonia, chronic bronchitis and pleurisy all at the same time. I have to be very careful and try not to come in contact with anyone that has a cold or virus. And that cannot always be avoided. My pleurisy was brought on by my lung disease. But you really need to find a pulmonary doctor. You should not have to suffer like you are. But, I certainly do agree with you. Pleurisy can make a person very sick. I ran the fevers and had the sweats. But, what I remember most about pleurisy was the pain. Of course, with this lung disease I cough frequently. That maybe why it was so painful to me. It was so painful I had to slowly get out of bed or up out of a chair. Usually I had to hold my hand over the effected area, while attempting to do these things. It hurt that badly. Like you, I remember being very frustrated as well. I kept thinking when is this going to go away. Then when I finally did start getting better, the effected area where the pleurisy had been, just felt hard like to me. Is hard to describe. Like a tightness. My pleurisy was located below my right breast. Doctor said it was a common area to have pleurisy usually. But, if you would like to talk further, I am here for you. It is scary sometimes to be ill. So, I do understand. I dread winter coming. Means my time to be sick a lot. I just pray no more pleurisy. It was rough. You take care and just rest up.
You can also start doing bhastrika,anulom vilom and bhramri.This will start to heal your lungs gradually and help you cope with allergies.Try to do it in fresh air(not AC, as there is less oxygen in AC environment), or keep the AC very low.The pranayam(breathing) will help you in many ways.So note down any benefits you observe over the weeks.You will experience better sleep and more energetic mind in the first few week.
My daughter-in-law, a doctor, told me to use anti-inflamitories such as Advil or Aleve.  She said that pleurisy is an inflamation (inflammation) of the lining of the lung and that anti-inflamitories relieve that inflamation (inflammation).  Good luck.
Good for you that your pleurisy was local, only in a small spot. Mine is all over - both lungs, in front, sides, back. In any hottest environment my lungs feel cold. Last summer and fall I saw a pulmonologist with the same condition (which lasted 4.5 months). I am not going to any Dr.s office any more. First, I catch more cold there because there is nowhere to hide from air conditioning. So I always got more sick after seeing a Dr. I Second, it's useless. He was not impressed. He lost interest as soon as he saw normal CT scan (which is typical for pleurisy). Pleurisy is not even considered a serious disease. Yes, he told me to take pain killers. BUT IT'S NOT ABOUT PAIN. It's about extreme weakness, hectic fever and continuous drenching sweats. I have to change clothes every helf hour or so. The fever is not all that high, but it feels like 107. Also, he told me to give it more time. But 4.5 months taken out of your life?!!!!....
We must be reading the same books. I actually have a  book "Breathe Disease out of Your body" - chinese breathing exercises.
Your method is obviously Indian. I heard the word "bhastrika" for the first time in mid-80s. But I've never done any exercises on a regular basis. I used to be in pretty good health. *Guess not any more). I usually do alternate nostil breathing to calm down before sleep. (Not every night, but when I am too wired). Helps greatly.
As far as the lung/kidney/adrenal spot on the palm, I have 2 books on reflexology which I open almost every day. I've been working on my palm accupressure points every day for many months (long before I fell ill).
Take care
Linda, thank you for the advice. Could you p[lease ask your daughter in law how to get rid of THE INFECTION which is causing high fever and sweats. I just completed 2 weeks of antibiotics. They had zero effect. I still have fever, exhausting drenching sweats, weakness, pain and heaviness in the lungs. (I never had a cough or bronchitis with it.) My Dr. also told me to take pain killers/ anti-inflammatories. I did, only for a short time though because of side effects - bad kidney pain. Unfortunately, they did nothing for the RECURRENT low grade fever (going up and down all day), sweats and exhaustion, i.e. INFECTION. Anti-inflammatories (Aleve, advil, etc.) can't cure the INFECTION. Maybe she knows??
Thank you
Yes, this breathing techniques existed ages ago in India.They have been simplified and tested on people with different timings, and the timings suggested are the result of 10 years of testing on people.Doing it every day, systematically achieves results.
I would be interested to know the duration of the sweating episodes, the number of episodes per day and do they happen at the same hour each day.
I would like you to do anulom vilom(5-20 minutes), before breakfast,before bedtime or in bed and also sometime during the day.(three times a day).Do this for at least 2 weeks and see if it makes a difference to the sweating episodes.Try and aim for 15-20 minutes for each session if you can without pain..
This is to make the control systems in the body to work normally and help with any health problem, not only respiratory problems.
Sorry I didn't write at once, was feeling awful. I realized every little draft, even from the computer built-in fan makes gives me chills and more fever. A week ago I ventured outside to do breathing exercises. Tough it was a hot day, my head started freezing (because it gets wet with sweat - I mean sick sweat, not because of heat). After some breathing exercises I got very tired, came home and in an hour almost collapsed with sudden shotup of fever, exhaustion, "drunken" feeling and general flu-like symptoms - headache, burning throat, nostrils and eyes. Like I cought the flu. Still trying to recover from these new symptoms - general flu-like.
My sweats are connected to rises in temperature. It goes up and down ~ 15-20 times during the day (and night), Each time with exhausting drenching sweats,   Before my first pleurisy last year, I never even had any colds or coughs (I mean never in ~ 15 years) and if I had minor problems with sore throat, they would go in 2-3 days without any cough. Never had a cough or fever. Even now I don't know what to treat - I have no cough, just pleurisy pains, general body aches, hot eys, burning nostrils (sinuses are clear).
I am working with reflexology points for immune and respir. systems, also taking herbs - echinacea, elderberry, pleurisy root, multivitamines, vit C, fish oil and more.
Hava, are you a doctor? You sound like someone knowledgeable. Other than breathing, can you give me advice on how to overcome these general flu-like symptoms, the viral infection that got into my pleura?. CAN ANYBODY HELP ME? I've been sick since June 26 and still no improvement.
It is important to stop the breathing exercises when you feel tired,dizzy or exhausted, and then resume later.Do only what the body can handle comfortably.
There is some conflict with your temperature regulating system - possibly thyroid and pituitary glands.So we need to get more oxygen into the brain and the body, to energise the cells, to help the glands work efficiently.Basically repair the body systems.
So I suggest you continue anulom vilom, comfortably, for a few minutes, several times a day.When you can do it for 10 minutes in one session, without getting tired, let me know.You can also do bhramri(humming).
Accupressure - For pituitary -Press firmly the  top half of both thumbs, about 20 times. For thyroid - press firmly the  area of the palm of both hands,from the bottom of the thumb to the wrist, about 20 times.
I can also suggest cinnamon powder with honey.
I am not a doctor, but trying to get to know the body systems and how they look after the body when the cells are healthy(oxygenated).
Also do not overdose yourself with herbs.Some herbs can be hot for the body and some are cool.
Yes, there may be some problem with temperature regulation. However, I just saw my endocrinologist. My Thyroid function is normal (TSH = 2). When I am not ill, I tend to feel cold (nor hot), and never even sweat. Never had hot flashes, even when my menopause started ~ 10 years ago. Before my first pleurisy last year, I hadn't had elevated temperature in ~ 20 years and practically never even had colds.
My temperature is caused by general flu-like infection which I can't overcome for how many weeks?(since June 26). I think I suffer from general viral infection that got into the pleura. It's not just local pleurisy.
I work with these points (pituitary and thyroid) every day. I also massage (and heat) the kidney and adrenal points on the back (on the waist line, 2 and 4 finger widths from the spine), as well as several other points for lungs/kidneys and immune system (I have 2 very good books on reflexology). As far as breathing exercises, I can't do alternate breathing more than 15 cycles (3 minutes?), almost faint. It takes very long to restore energy afterwards. The humming exercise is OK.
Cinnamon and honey.... I am very allergic to honey, since I was a child. My grandparents kept bee hives, but neither of my parents nor my sister could consume honey because of severe allergies. Cinnamon... It helps diabetes, fights insulin resistance. But as far as I know, it has to be purified (medical grade, and non-toxic variety. Read about the toxicity of regular spice - cinnamon - http://carbwars.blogspot.com/2008/01/cinnamon-warning.html ). I wonder what cinnamon might do for me -- fight sweating?? The types of sweats I am having are typical of infectios lung diseases (pneumonia, TB etc). I wish I knew how to get that virus out of my body. I am taking echinacea, goldenseal, astragalus, olive leaf extract and more - all antiviral. There haven't been much improvement.

Forgot to mention. As far as I understand, when cells are well oxygenated, the body will be alkaline.
With low oxygen it becomes acidic-- a breeding ground for disease.
You have done a lot of research.
This leaves anulon vilom, as quite safe, and delivers extra oxygen into the lungs.
So I would suggest 1) do 10 cycles 5 or 6  times a day. Stop before you get exhausted.
2) If you can do (1) for a week, then increase the number of cycles very gradually.
3) Once you can do it for 5 minutes in one session, you are on way to recovery.
Keep a record and remember to stop if dizzy or exhausted.Be patient and persevere.
Thanks for staying with me. It's nice to know someone is interested/sympathetic. Are you really interested?? Who and what are you, Hava? Are you studying to be a naturopathic dr? Or are you someone like myself, researching alternative medicine to be able to heal yourself? Or do you just study breathing and want to check out if breathing ex.-s really help cure lung diseases? In my case it's more a connective tissue problem than a lung problem, which makes it slightly different. Though of course, getting oxygenated is of primary importance in curing ANY illness.
Would you have any suggestions if, let's say, I had just a lingering GENERAL VIRAL INFECTION, e.g. a flu that wasn't going away? Because this very much seems to be my case. I mean in addition to pleurisy. The other day I thought I was better - my temperature was only 98.7, I'd taken Ibuprophen(which I try to avoid) and had practically no pleurisy pain.  So I stayed outside several hours, walked a little and did breathing exercises. I was in excellent mood, had enough strength, and was sure I am on the way to recovery. Also, it was a nice DRY day (at last). As a result, a couple of hours after all this activity my temprature shot up to 99.6 and I was SUDDENLY overcome with a flu-like feeling, incredible headache like never before, (even dizziness) couldn't open my eyes, body aches (all beat up), oppressed chest (hard to beathe), extreme weakness, even difficult to talk, -  I'd felt like that only when I was a kid and had very high fever, close to delirium.  I know in case of flu you should absolutely stay away from physical activity. If you don't, you'll only get sicker and run complications (even brain damage). Looks like what happened to me. I am still trying to recover to the level I was before all this physical activity. This is already a second time I get worse (not necesserily pleurisy but flu-like symptoms and increase in fever) after even minor physical activity, including breathing exercises.  This is frustrating because I can't wait to start moving about. In general, it's emotionally very hard to be sick so long. CAN ANYBODY HELP ME OVERCOME GENERAL VIRAL INFECTION (FLU)??? My Dr. didn't find anything special. She said, give it some more time. But i've been sick since June, and last year it took me 4.5 months to recover!!!!   I can't believe it will be the same this year. What if I never recover from this flu? PLEASE HELP!!!!!
We are trying to help your body to heal itself with oxygenated blood.The oxygen goes into the lungs first and then each individual cell gets oxygenated, to do its function more efficiently.Keep doing the pranayam.On your first two good days, do not do any physical exercises, and let the body do its recovery work.The flu symptoms make you rest, so that the body can conserve the oxygen, and use it to heal.Keep your body oxygenated and you will recover.Continue the pranayam, to prevent future episodes.
Wish you good health.
Did your pleurisy heal?  I've had mine for almost 5 months now and have been taken off of NSAIDs because they gave me gastritis.  I'm only on pain meds while my stomache heals so I can go back on NSAID.  I was told mine was viral as well, but the length of this healing process makes me second guess.  I could use any updates/advice you can offer.  I feel like my life was completely haulted as well.  It's miserable.
How are all of you doing??
I have it and you have described me to a "T"
scared you say it takes so long :/
Thanks for breathing techniques..  I will try in addition to all i am currently doing to combat this horrible condition.
Let me know how you get on with the pranayam, then I will suggest further.
I know this is old but I have to stress that you apparently have no idea what you're talking about.  If a person is able to do the breathing that you recommend as a cure, they wouldn't have pleurisy to begin with.   A deep breath is not possible.  I am open to alternative approaches to health, and your recommended exercises may be beneficial in general.  However, to suggest that they are helpful/possible for a person suffering from severe pleurisy is laughable.  I can't laugh, sigh, yawn, or take any kind of deep breath without pain so severe that it provokes an immediate uncontrollable expression of pain and involuntary cutoff of my breath.  
Your comments are very welcome. In other posts, I gather that Nata40 recovered 2.5 months earlier than before.Pranayam - voluntary breathing techniques, need to be done little at a time, and the timing to be increased,as the body allows. It is an alternative to involuntary breathing, with gradual benefits.People will realise their limits, and make a choice.
I have been suffering with pleurisy for almost two months now and am nursing my 4 1/2 month old baby.  The best advice anyone gave me so far was to drink hot water all day and use mustard oil for massage over lung area.  Also on a strict diet, nothing fried, nothing cold, mung bean dal, and fresh fruits like apples. NO SUGAR, no dairy. (unless it's raw clabber) Oh and never be constipated, (papayas help)  sweating is a way of your body of releasing toxins that cause the immune system to slow down. I also use Neem oil for the massage even though it doesn't smell too good it's very powerful.
i have had pleurisy for almost a year. It started after i was hospalized with Menengitis.  They say it was viral. it comes Off and on, but seems like it is more on than off, even when i am not sick at all. I take vitamin D to boost my immune system against viruses.I have taken them all, motrin, naproxen, tylonel w codine, dosent seem to help much.  I also have night sweats and hot flashes during the day. During the late summer/early fall i felt often like i was gonna just burst out sweating just sitting there with the a/c on.Doctors say everything is okay.(of course they do, how else would they make money?)  My chiropractor thinks it may be a bone out of place (don't they always) Chiropractors are good, but they think they can solve everything.  However, it dosent hurt that much to breathe, it is a dull ache that rarely goes away, and sometimes a very bad pain, So i am of course getting very confused. And very fed up with this pain, and all my doctor can do is say they dont know much about pleurisy and give me motrin.

I have been suffering from pleurisy for the past 4 weeks. I really feel for you those of you have been suffering for longer:(
For me it started 3 months ago when I got a cough and it developed into pleurisy.  I am now on my second round of antibiotics. This time around they seem to be working a bit better. In addition to the antibiotic I have also been drinking a tablespoon of blackstrap molasses in rice milk to increase my iron levels, taking a probiotic everyday (to replenish the good bacteria) and a glass of water with 2tbsp apple cider vinegar. I have also been eating tons of garlic - I try to eat it raw. If you can handle it - sucking on a clove for an hour or two has worked well for me too. I have also been eating 2-3 oranges a day.  I have been taking some cough syrup to help me get a decent night sleep too as the pain and cough were keeping me up.  I have been doing the breathing exercises recommended on this forum. Yes, they were insanely painful to begin with but I think they are helping and my pleurisy is clearing. Oh yeah - I also have taken this week and next week off work and following that a 2 week holiday to rest. I need the rest - I am a teacher and being in the classroom was really not helping my recovery!

Thanks to everyone who posted tips - I have seen a big improvement.  
i have pleurisy for past ten days.so painful. doc said just diclofenac. the sweats at night are bad. interesting bout the cold n air conditioning. i am very sensitive to cold anyway. it started on my right side but now seems to have started o my left side too.should i go back to docs?
feedback from PisForPleurisy
" I have been doing the breathing exercises recommended on this forum. Yes, they were insanely painful to begin with but I think they are helping and my pleurisy is clearing."
The pranayam (different breathing techniques) mentioned in my earlier posts, help people with pleurisy. So do try the pranayam and it will help in the long term.
March 27 ,2012
what breathing techniques help pleurisy  i have pleurisy on and off since october 2010  i just dont have the stabbing pains just shortness of breathe and hurting on left side and forearm and left shoulder blade constant ache and sometimes burning sensation and burning sensation at top of my chest  it comes and goes since then ive went to doctor and been put on spiriva because i now have chronic broncitis/emphzma
My son had a pleurisy attack in july 2010 and after a week, was diagnosed with Viral Menengitis, which lasted a bout a week and a half.  He is very fit, is on the varsity swim team, but for the last 1 3/4 years, feels the pleurisy pain sporatically each week.  He can be simply walking and suddenly feels it, or swimming.  

Ibuprofen is all his doctor suggests-- but it makes him feel odd in his joints and a bit fuzzy during the day.  He doesn't feel it helps him.

Has anyone had a CT scan of their lungs?  Does that help to reveal the health of the lungs?  

Has anyone had this sort of experience that has lasted this long?  Can the lungs be damaged if one continues a sport?
Thank you!
Some techniques you can follow  yourself to help with pleurisy.PisForPleurisy(member) is already feeling the benefit.(see his post above). The benefit is very gradual.You will feel pain initially,but do not give up, and start with a few seconds, and then build up the timing very  very gradually. Once you can do anulom vilom for more than 10 minutes you will start to notice the change. Your health is in your hands.

Build up your timing very gradually.If you feel tired or dizzy or feel pain, stop and resume later.

Anulom Vilom pranayam –
Close your right nostril with thumb and deep breath-in through left nostril  
This is one cycle of anulom vilom.
Repeat this cycle for 20 to 30  minutes twice a day.
Children under 15 years – do 5 to 10 minutes twice a day.

Bhramri Pranayam -Close eyes. Close little flap of ears with thumb,place  index finger on forehead, and rest three fingers on base of nose touching eyes. Breathe in through nose. And now breathe out through nose while humming like a bee.
Repeat this  5 to 21 times.
April 11 ,2012
Hi Channing,

Just wondering how your son was feeling?

My husband was just diagnosed with pleurisy 3 days ago and I cannot even imagine it going on longer. Our doctor said he was fine to go play soccer, but when he did he had to quit and come home early because he was in pain. It is so scary to see.

He is getting a CT scan today.

I am printing out the breathing exercizes (thank you hatha) and going to have my husband start them. Do you rec all 4 once a day? I am also going to try to get us into walking/hiking more (since soccer is so painful)... and take it easy. This also seems like a good opportunity to change some of our diet habits and move over to more clean eating.
Have any of you used ClearLungs?  I use to get  bronchitis and it would go into pneumonia very fast.  I would be sick a long time and several times a year.  Someone told my about ClearLungs and I felt noticeable better the next day.  Now I take it in allergy season and any time I feel a cold coming on or I have been exposed to something that makes my breathing weak. I have not had  bronchitis or pneumonia since 1995!   I am not selling this but I tell everyone I meet with lung trouble.
ClearLungs is an all natural Chinese herbal remedy that really works. It is a perfectly balanced formula containing a rich array of Chinese herbal ingredients plus homeopathic extracts that provides temporary relief of bronchial congestion, and is highly effective for any kind of breathing problem. There is a Liquid too.  
If anyone tries ClearLungs.... Please share your results. It sounds like you need to be taking it all the time to keep from getting Pleurisy again. I feel for you guys and pray this will help.
hI.  I get pleurisy almost every year and I catch if from a chill or slight cold.  Done the hospital, specialist, doctors.  This year when I got it went to give blood to find that white blook high and had bacterial infection which was treated by antibiotic for 8 days, then on day 5 went onto kortizone for 5 days.  Take Simbicord inhaler and increased that to 6 puffs a day for a direct boost of kortizone.  I immediately stayed indoors and put a wheat cushion heated up on my sore lung for and hour at a time 5 times a day/night.  Lots of boiled hot water, celery which helps with the pain and an afternoon nap every afternoon.  So far this is the best ever, I am almost better. Its been 3 weeks and normally I have it for months.  The fevers the doctors cannot understand but I believe from my google friend that a fever is natures way of increasing the (white) blood cells which in turn assist your immune system.  Still researching so any comment is of assistance. Janet
I have had pleurisy for about 4 months. Two months in they put me in the hospital for 5 days. Honestly I didn't think I was going to make it out. I had never heard of this before then. I had all the symptoms that everyone else is speaking of and had 3 CT scans done. I almost had to have a biopsy done on my right lung due to a 3 cm mass. The Dr. was worried that I had Cancer. Terrified to say the least.
I took very strong pain meds and antibiotics while there. Also on oxygen. Since being home I have been getting better. The antibiotics seem to be working with the 800mg of Ibuprofin. It has been a month and yesterday I started feeling some pain in my left side again, finger tips are turning bluish purple (with pain in them) my eyes are going crossed on there own. Let me clear that up, I will be relaxed and then feel a pressure in my eyes like I am crossing them. They don't actually move but I see double the same as if they were and they become diolated. That lasts for about a minute or so.
When I was put in the hospital I was told that I had inflamation (inflammation) in my lymphnodes in front of my heart, pneumonia, the mass on my right lung and fluid around my heart. I don't care for all of the weakness and the pain. I am a single mom of a 6 yr old and it is not easy to take care of her and myself at the same time. She is a trooper and helps out a lot.

As to your question on the letting your son play sports? From what I understand you can also bring pleurisy on from an injury. That would have to be a decision you guys make for yourselves. I do not deal with pain well at all so for me that decision would be easy, I just wouldn't play. This all just sounds so bad and wish we all didn't have to deal with any of it.

I am praying that what I am feeling in my fingers and chest are not this horrible disease coming back. Good luck to you and your son.
im 19 and married. we have a ton of stress on us an i doubt its gonna go away any time soon.
i have pleurisy iv taken so many different antibiotics BACTRIM is all i found to help but it never fully goes away. i feel like its making me forgetfull, and depressed in my head..i already have hard time sleeping now its worse.
the meds they all give me diarehia(sorry for spelling)
im at my wits end im so stressed with being sick i feel to young to have problems breathing..now in my boobs i see bright blue veins more than normal, an in my rist..an my feet are gaining weight an have red squigly lines near the bottom in one spot on each foot.
i feel im having all these changes .
iv had pleurisy for going on 3months now and its where people are getting mad at me for racking up medical bills and they dont believe im sick i dont look sick but i feel it an i think my husband keeps getting everything i get .
im also getting car sick real easy and dizzy alot my eyes hurt. i dont know whats going on doctors dont seem to help an i dont have insurance....what todo i dont wanna complain but all these panic attacks are making me so scared im so young an have no family to help
I'm sorry no one ever responded to you.
How did it turn out for you? Are you better?
You are CORRECT...how could anyone who has experienced pleurisy think that breathing exercises could help?!?!?!
And other pleurisy sufferers, I totally emphasise, it is horrible iv never felt pain like it. The drs put mine down to scarlet fever, so have not even xrayd chest. I just want to knw if 1's you get it does it always return :'c I thought I was having a heart attack other day I'd gone up 1 flight stairs come back and my heart started palpitating and got this almost like a suffocation feeling in chest very tight but because I couldn't breath my whole body started tingling and my hands legs n lips started spasm my hands curled so tight iv bruised my own fingers (hyperventalated ) ended up in hospital was told it was refered pain caused by pleurisy ( arm weakness shoulder pain palpitations n tightened chest) now after been on antibiotics 4 nearly week the broken crushing rib hugging pain gone but I have a horrible burning pain all across back under shoulder blades now had it in rite lung does this mean its spread or is it refered pain again. Hope some1 finds a propa cure x