Respiratory Disorders Expert Forum
Reducing Turbinate Swelling

This forum is for questions and support regarding lung and respiratory issues. such as: Allergies, Asthma, Bronchitis, Colds - Flu, Chronic Cough, COPD, Cystic Fibrosis, Emphysema, Fibrosis, Lung Abscess, Nasal Polyps, Pleurisy, Pneumonia, Sarcoidosis, Sinusitis, Tuberculosis.

Reducing Turbinate Swelling

I think it would be very helpful to compile a prioritized action list to treat chronically swollen turbinates.

On the days when my turbinates are not swollen, my quality of life is improved by a surprising amount. Is there much understanding of why this is?

Thanks!
Bard
The majority of instances of swollen turbinates are the result of allergic rhinitis, which is inflammation of the nose.  Treatment generally consists of avoidance of the causative allergens, once identified, routine daily nasal washes, the use of a prescription nasal steroid spray and/or the use of an antihistamine.  The chronic use of inhaled or oral vasoconstrictive medicines, such as epinephrine or Sudafed ® (pseudoephedrine) is not recommended.

Routine use of a nasal steroid spray can be very effective in the treatment of swollen turbinates.  It decreases inflammation in the nose and sinuses along with mucus production.  When a nasal steroid spray is used regularly it can prevent swollen turbinates.  However it does not provide immediate relief of symptoms.  It may need to be used every day for several weeks to months to notice improvement in the symptoms.  To get the most help from any nasal spray first do a nasal wash to remove mucus from the nose and sinuses.  To learn more about this technique please read our nasal wash treatment information by copying and pasting this address

http://www.nationaljewish.org/healthinfo/medications/lung-diseases/alternative/nasal-wash-treatment.aspx

into the address window of your internet browser.  Share this information with your doctor to see if you would benefit from this daily treatment.

You might want to begin by taking a careful inventory of all potential allergic materials in your home and place of work.

Good luck.
Thanks, I do all of these therapies, and then some! Personally, I've found an electric nasal irrigator to be the most effective single option.

On the days when my turbinates are not swollen my quality of life is improved by a surprising amount. Is there much understanding of why this is?