Respiratory Disorders Expert Forum
Resistant pneumonia?

This forum is for questions and support regarding lung and respiratory issues. such as: Allergies, Asthma, Bronchitis, Colds - Flu, Chronic Cough, COPD, Cystic Fibrosis, Emphysema, Fibrosis, Lung Abscess, Nasal Polyps, Pleurisy, Pneumonia, Sarcoidosis, Sinusitis, Tuberculosis.

Resistant pneumonia?

Symptoms began Nov. 2012: stuffy runny nose with occasional streaks of blood, fever, headache, cough with yellow, green, white,  brown, pink, frothy, occasionally bloody sputum, wheezing, chest tightness & pain, shortness of breath that interferes with all daily activities, coughing fits that lead to tingling in limbs and decrease in vision, nausea, vomiting, decreased appetite, dehydration, blocked & painful ears with hearing difficulty, fatigue, weakness, dizziness, near fainting upon standing, rapid weight loss (nearly 30 lbs in a month), diarrhea, occasional blood in stool. Have had three rounds of antibiotics for the pneumonia that showed up in x-rays, (including a z-pack, ciprofloxacin, and two shots of antibiotics at the doctors office), with only marginal improvement. I can't work, or even lay down for that matter, since the coughing fits get so bad. I went back to the doctor after being on antibiotics for a week, still not feeling better. He acted like I was bothering him, and grudgingly gave me the z-pack "just in case". Was much more interested in telling me how I need to lose weight (needless to say, I am overweight, but this is NOT the issue I was seeking help with), and didn't seem to really care about the 20 pounds I had lost already due to this illness. Well, another week has gone by almost, and another 10 pounds along with it. Starting to worry. I quit smoking almost two years ago, after thirteen years of a pack day. Opinions and/or comments would be greatly appreciated. I just want my life back!
You must get a second opinion and you must do it immediately.  You have a very serious illness.  Whatever is concurrently causing pulmonary and gastrointestinal disease, having bloody diarrhea (unless caused by antibiotic therapy)  along with bloody sputum  indicates that yours is an unusual condition to involve both these systems.  Yours may be an infectious or non-infectious multi-system disease but whatever it is it needs to be diagnosed and treated before you become even more severely ill.

You and your doctors should arrange for immediate consultation at the nearest  large clinic (Mayo Clinic, Cleveland Clinic)  or the nearest academic medical center.  Do not accept NO for an answer if your doctors are unwilling to provide assistance.  Should that occur, you and your family will have to make your own arrangements and it may necessitate your being taken to the Emergency Room of such an institution.

Good luck