Respiratory Disorders Community
Respiratory Illness Comes and Goes
About This Community:

This patient support community is for discussions relating to lung and respiratory issues, allergies, asthma, bronchitis, colds/flu, chronic cough, COPD, lung abscess, nasal polyps, pleurisy, pneumonia, sarcoidosis, and tuberculosis.

Font Size:
A
A
A
Background:
Blank
Blank
Blank
Blank Blank

Respiratory Illness Comes and Goes

About two months ago, my nine year old had a serious respiratory illness.  It started with vomiting, then progressed to a rash and then a violent cough with wheezing and fever.  I brought him to the doctor (who said his chest sounded like a "creaky door").  He prescribed an albuterol inhaler.  The illness lasted about a week, getting progressively better each day.

He is now well about 99% of the time.  He eats well and has no respiratory symptoms, fever, or malaise.  He seems back to his old self.  However, whenever he does any strenuous activity (wrestling with his brothers, running outside, etc.) the wheezing cough returns along with the rash.  The rash is transient (lasting no more than half an hour), but is itchy and red (like sandpaper).  Sometimes the rash also includes hives.  The rash occurred once without the cough after he ate eggs (which we have since removed from his diet), but usually only appears with the cough.  Both occur together only with exercise.

This has me confused and worried.  There are no lingering effects from the cough, but it is troubling when it occurs.  He says his chest feels "tight" and you can see that his diaphragm is spasming.

He never had any asthmatic symptoms prior to this illness.  Does anybody have any ideas about what might be going on?
Post a Comment
To
Blank
Weight Tracker
Weight Tracker
Start Tracking Now
Respiratory Disorders Community Resources
RSS Expert Activity
469720_tn?1388149949
Blank
Abdominal Aortic Aneurysm-treatable... Blank
Oct 04 by Lee Kirksey, MDBlank