Respiratory disorder
My son is currently 20 months of age.  At birth he had pulmonary hypertension unknown etiology and was placed on ECMO for 3 days.  We nearly lost him.  Long story short, his lungs have been perfectly healthy up until about 2 months ago.  He had an acute onset of wheezing, retractions, dry hacking cough.  X-ray showed a slight inflitrate.  He was treated with antibiotics and was started on pulmacort and xoponex.  3 wks later, he had another episode. Symptoms all the same but this time x-ray showed bronchitis with no infiltrate. I took him to the ER and he was started on prednisone and we continued xoponex as before.  2 wks later the dry cough began and we treated him aggressively with pulmacort and xoponex.  Exactly 2 wks later ( yesterday) the dry cough has began again.  I have started him on pulmacort and xopenex again. My questions are this...  Should I ask our Pedi to send us to a pediatric pulmonologist since he had the significant troubles at birth?  What do you think his current diagnosis is?  What are recommendations?  Am I able to give pulmacort as often as I have been since it is a type of steroid?  Thanks so much for your help.   apprehensive mom
In my opinion as a former pedi icu nurse, I would not hesitate to ask for a referral to a pedi pulmo.  With his history and now a chronic condition, I think it is warranted.  Besides, you needn't worry about hurting his pediatrician's feelings.  This is your baby you are talking about.  He could have asthma, or maybe not.  Has he had any follow up echoes to check his pulmonary pressures?
Thanks so much for responding.  I am a nurse as well so you understand how scared I am about this.  No, he has not had any follow up echoes.  He started running fever tonight so I will take him into his Pedi tomorrow and ask for that referral.  Thanks for your input and encouragement.