Respiratory Disorders Community
Respiratory disorder
About This Community:

This patient support community is for discussions relating to lung and respiratory issues, allergies, asthma, bronchitis, colds/flu, chronic cough, COPD, lung abscess, nasal polyps, pleurisy, pneumonia, sarcoidosis, and tuberculosis.

Font Size:
A
A
A
Background:
Blank
Blank
Blank
Blank Blank

Respiratory disorder

My son is currently 20 months of age.  At birth he had pulmonary hypertension unknown etiology and was placed on ECMO for 3 days.  We nearly lost him.  Long story short, his lungs have been perfectly healthy up until about 2 months ago.  He had an acute onset of wheezing, retractions, dry hacking cough.  X-ray showed a slight inflitrate.  He was treated with antibiotics and was started on pulmacort and xoponex.  3 wks later, he had another episode. Symptoms all the same but this time x-ray showed bronchitis with no infiltrate. I took him to the ER and he was started on prednisone and we continued xoponex as before.  2 wks later the dry cough began and we treated him aggressively with pulmacort and xoponex.  Exactly 2 wks later ( yesterday) the dry cough has began again.  I have started him on pulmacort and xopenex again. My questions are this...  Should I ask our Pedi to send us to a pediatric pulmonologist since he had the significant troubles at birth?  What do you think his current diagnosis is?  What are recommendations?  Am I able to give pulmacort as often as I have been since it is a type of steroid?  Thanks so much for your help.   apprehensive mom