Respiratory Disorders Expert Forum
Respiratory effects of breathing poison ivy particulate
About This Forum:

This forum is for questions and support regarding lung and respiratory issues. such as: Allergies, Asthma, Bronchitis, Colds - Flu, Chronic Cough, COPD, Cystic Fibrosis, Emphysema, Fibrosis, Lung Abscess, Nasal Polyps, Pleurisy, Pneumonia, Sarcoidosis, Sinusitis, Tuberculosis.

Font Size:
A
A
A
Background:
Blank
Blank
Blank
Blank Blank

Respiratory effects of breathing poison ivy particulate

I am a 51 year old female in great health, taking no medication and without any troubling medical history. I used to smoke but quit in 2000. On Thursday of last week I inhaled the dust and particulate from a large hairy poison ivy vine that I pulled off of a fence. Since I inhaled that particulate I have suffered from difficulty in breathing, shortness of breath, increasing pain in my jaws, tongue and teeth at periodic times, not all the time. These "events" have happened twice and have lasted about 30 minutes to 1-2 hours, my blood pressure and pulse rate increase, and toward the end of the "event" I develop a fever of at least 100-101 for 4-5 hours. The next day I am weakened but fine. I visited my Dr. yesterday thinking it was signs of a heart attack and had blood drawn and had a chest xray and Electrokardiagram. I am awaiting the results of these test, but had this event happen again last night. I mentioned inhaling the particulate from the poison ivy to my Dr. but he didn't seem to pay much attention to it. He also thought the "event" I had was not associated with a heart attack. So, that is why I would really appreciate knowing what you think. I might also mention that now I feel fine except for a slight ache in my lungs upon taking a deep breath. Thank you in advance for your answer.