Respiratory Disorders Expert Forum
Retinoic Acid treatment for Emphysema

This forum is for questions and support regarding lung and respiratory issues. such as: Allergies, Asthma, Bronchitis, Colds - Flu, Chronic Cough, COPD, Cystic Fibrosis, Emphysema, Fibrosis, Lung Abscess, Nasal Polyps, Pleurisy, Pneumonia, Sarcoidosis, Sinusitis, Tuberculosis.

Retinoic Acid treatment for Emphysema

I have been searching for emphyseam treatments and have read just a little that some trials are going on with Retinoic Acid (vitamin A). All of the trials I can find are closed and results won't be in for a couple of years. The trial information doesn't say how the Retinoic acid is being delivered. Does it go straight to the lungs or is it oral? While waiting out the years for trail results, is taking vitamin A supplements advised?
Most of the studies use oral retinoic acid.  Retinoic acid in an animal model of emphysema has been shown to restore air sacs, also called alveoli.  This is a very promising therapy.

Vitamin A in large doses can be toxic to the liver so high doses should be avoided.  Until we know more from the results of the ongoing studies, using a Vitamin A supplement with no more than 100% of the recommended daily dose would be reasonable.
Vitamin A (like many supplements) can have VERY TOXIC effects if taken in high doses, so it is strongly DISCOURAGED as a medication to take in substantial quantities.  Please discuss this with your doctors if you have any questions.  I believe they are trying different methods of delivering the Retinoic Acid, to minimize the side effects & determine the therapeutic dose that has the best results with the fewest side effects.  The studies I have read have indicated they are trying several forms of retinoic acid, to see which one has the best results.
Aloha,
Starion
Thanks for your responses.  I have been taking  multivitamins for over 20 years. For over 10 years it has been Centrum which lists the vitamin A at 100%. As I have developed emphysema, obviously 100% isn't enough, if one is exposed to second-hand smoke.  I am too young (49) to "just accept" my diagnosis without a fight. I refuse to suffer as an innocent bystander to other people's smoke and am determined to find something that will help. I have just gotten over a bout of Bronchitis and  am already getting worse again. I am willing to try anything. I need to find out a safe upper level for the vitamin A.
I have emphysema and I have cancer . If any one has a suggestion on helping me to breathe please let me know. Or if you know where to obtain Retinoic Acid . Please help. ***@****  please send replies that will help me !
I have been reading the articles about the clinical trials using retinoic acid,they sound very promising. My father is 88 and has had Emphasema for 25 years .He has always taken at least 10,000 iu's of vitamin A, sometimes more. I believe this might be why he is still doing fair for his age & condition. He has been taking about 50,000 iu's at this time because we have been reading about retinoic acid. The doctor is keeping tabs on his liver function and all is well.I am certainly not a doctor but I would suggest going to a health food store to get natural vitamin A. Also many times you can find a very health informed owner who is willing to answer all of your questions.  I know people who have taken theraputic doses of vitamin A (100,000 iu's), for a short while with no ill effects, but if I used that much I would certainly have my doctor monitor my liver function.    < Hope this helps >
A related discussion, clinical trials results was started.
A related discussion, medication was started.
A related discussion, C.O.P.D. was started.