Respiratory Disorders Expert Forum
Ribs hurting when breathing

This forum is for questions and support regarding lung and respiratory issues. such as: Allergies, Asthma, Bronchitis, Colds - Flu, Chronic Cough, COPD, Cystic Fibrosis, Emphysema, Fibrosis, Lung Abscess, Nasal Polyps, Pleurisy, Pneumonia, Sarcoidosis, Sinusitis, Tuberculosis.

Ribs hurting when breathing

I'm 14 years old and I have been getting pains around my right rib area for the past few days. I'm not sure why I am having pains. It hurts when I breath deep, sniff, or sneeze. It does not hurt when I sit still motionless, or standing up or walking/running. It hurts a little when I lay down on bed on my back. It does not hurt when I lay on my sides. I take Tae kwon do, and I had taken sparring class, and I felt fine. The next day after I started getting pains. I don't remember getting hit too hard that day, and I thought the pain would recede after a few days. It's been about 4 days now, and nothing changed. The pain hasn't gotten worse, or better, just the same. I have not gone to the docter yet, I don't want to make a fuss out of something little. That's my question though, is this problem serious and bone related, or just a muscle problem? P.S. Bengay helps ease the pain for a while
With what you described, the cause of your problem is most likely strained muscle or strained ligaments and should subside soon, especially if you are able to reduce your activity level for a few days.  It is possible that you may have suffered what is called cartilage separation; a break in the front end of the rib, where bone ends and cartilage begins.  The delayed onset is characteristic of such pain.

Now, if you have any other symptoms or signs with this such as cough, shortness of breath, fever or any other unaccustomed symptom, you should discuss this with your parents and should have an examination and an x-ray.  While the preceding is true, your pain could also be the result of a pneumothorax with a collapsing lung.

I understand your wanting to not make a fuss about this, but if the pain worsens or anything else happens that alarms you or your family, don't hesitate to seek medical care.

Good luck with this and your Tae Kwon Do.
1 Comment
A related discussion, trouble breathing was started.