Ribs pain at wake up time
I have the same kind of rib pain in the morning at the wake-up time for few minutes. Yes it is for few minutes but that is really unbareble. Dear friends, from discussions with a doctor and friends, I have come to conclusion that mostly (rpt. mostly) this kind of pain is due to lack of Oxygen. Also may be because of deficiency of B12. I am not sure for these remedies, BUT I certainly feel better in the morning when I wake up - if I kept open my windows during the night. So the point is Oxygen as well as food-medicine supplement for the B12 may be useful. Please discuss these options with your doctor. Regards. Alkesh  

This discussion is related to Ribcage pain/ diaphragm pain with deep breathing upon waking.
Welcome to the MedHelp forum!
Yes, it can be due to causes you mention. Other possibility is sleep apnea.
In all probability you have either acid reflux or hiatal hernia. Take Omeprazole empty stomach in morning and an antacid gel at bedtime. Refrain from smoking, alcohol, fuzzy drinks and spicy food. Eat frequent small meals. Avoid bulky meals. Walking around also helps clear gas. I would strongly recommend you to see a gastroenterologist (a specialist who looks after the diseases of our digestive system) if these tips help you.
Take care!