Respiratory Disorders Community
Ribs still popping, two years later?

This patient support community is for discussions relating to lung and respiratory issues, allergies, asthma, bronchitis, colds/flu, chronic cough, COPD, lung abscess, nasal polyps, pleurisy, pneumonia, sarcoidosis, and tuberculosis.

Ribs still popping, two years later?

Almost exactly two years ago, I got a bad case of Bronchitis that bothered me for ~two months. Towards the end of the Bronchitis, I noticed that, due to my constant hard coughing, my ribs were starting to move in and out. Understandably, this freaked me out, but it never caused me any sharp pain, so I didn't do anything about it. I asked my doctor shortly after the popping in-and-out started, and he said it would stop on its own. Well, it's been two years, and still- everytime that I laugh too hard, sob, or cough, I feel my ribs move. Repeat: it's uncomfortable but not painful.

-Only my left rib area used to pop, but as of about half a year ago, my right side does it, too.
-I never was told exactly what was happening, so I'm not even sure it IS my rib(s).
-I have no other history of injuring my rib area.

So... what is going on? Why does this still happen to me? Will it stop? What exactly IS happening?  

As long as it doesn't hurt you and give you discomfort, then I don't think there is any reason to worry about it. Because if it did become a big problem, sometimes the only solution is surgery, and that carries it's risks too. Be glad it's not bad. If it does become a problem then it's a good idea to see your doctor for appropriate treatment.

I will admit though that hard coughing does stuff to the body. I actually broke a rib once from bad coughing. That was painful.