Respiratory Disorders Expert Forum
Right Upper Back Pain
About This Forum:

This forum is for questions and support regarding lung and respiratory issues. such as: Allergies, Asthma, Bronchitis, Colds - Flu, Chronic Cough, COPD, Cystic Fibrosis, Emphysema, Fibrosis, Lung Abscess, Nasal Polyps, Pleurisy, Pneumonia, Sarcoidosis, Sinusitis, Tuberculosis.

Font Size:
A
A
A
Background:
Blank
Blank
Blank
This expert forum is not accepting new questions. Please post your question in one of our medical support communities.
Right Upper Back Pain
Hello.  I'm not sure if this question is a respiratory one, but I wasn't sure which forum to place my question under.

For a couple of months or so, I have been experiencing slight pain on and off in my right lower back, around the lower ribs.  I usually noticed this more in the morning.  I figured it may have been from pulling something in my sleep.  Previous to this, I had an ultrasound done for gall bladder and kidneys that had come up negative, so I thought nothing more of the pain than a pull.

My doctor said sometimes the kidneys may cause back pain when sleeping on your back as they settle to the back of your body.  I was told morning urination will usually alleviate the pain.  I always noticed the slight pain would still appear on and off at any time of day.

Last night I woke up at 2 AM with a burning pain in my right upper back, around my shoulder blade.  Certain movements cause the pain to kick in.  Occasionaly a deep breath will cause the pain, too.  However, stretching my right arm in certain ways will cause the pain.  I am very uncomfortable today.

Could this just be another muscle pull or something else?
Discussion is closed
Cancel
2 Answers
Page 1 of 1
251132_tn?1198082422
Since certain movements cause this burning pain in your right upper back, it is most likely due to a muscle pull.  However the pain from a muscle pull usually improves as the day goes on.  You will need to have a thorough physical exam by your doctor to find out the nature of the problem that is causing this burning pain around your right shoulder blade.  A good test to start with is a chest x-ray and possibly an electrocardiogram (EKG) to see if there is any other cause.
Discussion is closed
Cancel
A related discussion, right upper back pain was started.
Discussion is closed
Cancel
A
A
Blank
Request an Appointment
Blank
Asthma Tracker
Asthma Tracker
Start Tracking Now
Blank
Allergy Tracker