Respiratory Disorders Expert Forum
Running nose

This forum is for questions and support regarding lung and respiratory issues. such as: Allergies, Asthma, Bronchitis, Colds - Flu, Chronic Cough, COPD, Cystic Fibrosis, Emphysema, Fibrosis, Lung Abscess, Nasal Polyps, Pleurisy, Pneumonia, Sarcoidosis, Sinusitis, Tuberculosis.

Running nose

(sorry for my bad english)

30 years old male - running nose and no sense of smell for the past 12 months.

No asthma/smoking/alcohol/drugs/coffee.
Does not seem to be location dependant (a few 5-days travels didn't affect it).

After 4 visits to the MD (ie 4*5 minutes) and a ton of experimentation:

Bacteria analysis (nose and throat) resulted clean. [for an unrelated condition I took two classes of antibiotics and they didn't affect my nose]

I used to sleep 5-6 hours/day.  Now less than 8 means the nose will be running really bad.
If I sleep 10 hours or more, it's acceptably OK, but still no sense of smell.

Hot weather alleviates it a little.  I have some relief when I drink hot beverages.
I also feel much better for a few minutes after doing some excercise (ie jumping).

Antihistamines don't work (Loratadine 10mg/day 30 days, Allegra 120mg/day 10 days).

Anti-inflammatory drugs:

- Diclofenac sodium 100mg/day - no effect.
- Rofecoxib 12.5mg/day - seemed to work somewhat, but killed my stomach.
- Fluticasone 50mcg*4 shots/day - alleviates the running nose a lot, but still need a kleenex every 30 mins or so, and no sense of smell.  This is the doc-approved thing to use.
- Prednisone 10mg/day - WORKS! At least when the weather is hot (been taking it for 6 days: 3*20mg, 3*10mg).

Prednisone makes all symphtoms dissapear most of the time.  I'm already experiencing some unpleasant side effects and read it's not a nice thing to take for extended periods, so I'll gradually reduce the dosage and quit taking it.

Anything else I can try?

Thanks!
Sinusitis is an inflammation of the mucous membranes that line the sinus cavities.  Inflammation of the sinuses could be due to an allergy, an infection, or ongoing exposure to an irritant, such as pollution or smoke.  Symptoms can include a headache or pressure in the area of the sinuses, achy teeth, a stuffy nose, a runny nose, postnasal drip, cough, sore throat, loss of your sense of smell, lightheadedness, constant low fever, and thick, yellow to green nasal drainage.  A CT scan of the sinuses is the best way to identify sinusitis.  If your symptoms are due to sinusitis, this will last as long as the inflammation continues.

The most common cause of sinusitis is an infection, especially when the mucus is green.  Sinus infections can be difficult to treat since they respond slowly.  When any of the openings that drain your sinuses is blocked it will take longer to clear a sinus infection.  If a viral infection is the cause it
I am puzzled. I have seen my primary care and a dermatoligist. Both have told me that I have rosacea. I don't seem to think it is because I don't really have acne. It is only my nose. It gets red often and now the condition is worse with red bumps on one side of my nose. My left side of my nose is also a bit swollen and is starting to look disfigured. I also periodically have a clear runny nose. I am wondering if I have an allergy. I took tetracyline for two weeks and it did nothing. I am putting a topical ointment that the dermatoligist gave me on twice a day and it seems to be getting worse. I am not sure where to look for answers at this point, but this just won't go away. I started noticing it around the same time that I started taking synthroid for my underactive thyroid condition. Could I be allergic to synthroid? Would it only affect my nose? Could it be rosacea? I just want to get rid of it!