Respiratory Disorders Community
SMELLY NOSE

This patient support community is for discussions relating to lung and respiratory issues, allergies, asthma, bronchitis, colds/flu, chronic cough, COPD, lung abscess, nasal polyps, pleurisy, pneumonia, sarcoidosis, and tuberculosis.

SMELLY NOSE

I have this smell problem and its been more than 3 years. In the beginning I used to smoke and after smoke, smell is that strong other persons can smell in the room. Its so strong. I was not sure about that in the beginning, went to see Dentist and then Family doctor. I disgonose with Sinusis. So I think that it comes from Nose. My sinusus does not give me pain or anything. Take antibiotic during these days feels ok but then again same problem. If I eat anything that have a Bad odour or something then same smells you can feel in the room. It so strong. If i clean my nose smell gets more strang.PPl remarks i am stinky. Smell gets weaker if I drink Hot water or Tea for some time. Get worse in the morning and get better later in the day. Have one Sinus surgery, Gastrescopy, Xray, CT scan. Adeniods and lungs are fine in Xray. Not much pain in sinus. Using Netti pot for some time with Tea Tree oil and taking oil of oregno. Only Avelox and oil or oregno works for some weeks if i stop smell come back. If there is smell in my mouth then it get more stronger. If i burp smell get stronger. Its like happening in waves.

Help me...

I also have this smell problem for more than five years now.It is a chocking kind of smell because when I get into a room people tend to clear their throats and sneeze others simply cover their noses.I went to see a dentist who said I'm just okay and that just a little flossing was needed.The problem however persisted. my E.N.T. specialists said I did  not have any sinus problem.Xray scans showed that my lungs were healthy.The smell tend to come in intervals.The problem however comes when trying to pinpoint the kind of smell .Others say its fecal  odor,rotting refuse or simply a melly ulcer. Ihave tried to use many antibiotics but with no avail.
please help......
Sometime adeniods get infected as well. Get a Xray of them. I have done my no infection. I am going to try lay down and drop the saline wash in both nostrill. Some guy on other website says it works.they say to use collodial silver instead of water. May be worth a try. Will let you know.

thanks
I have tried lot of antibiotics nothing work or work for some time and then same thing. Its funny that ENT does not recognize the problem. I think its either stomach or nose. What is the thing that makes this smell stronger that it spread in the room or even in the well vanitated area. There is something that pushed the smell out.

Hi,I just watched an episode of Mystery Diagnosis were a woman since she was 11 had unexplained strong odor hers was in her sweat the disease was called Trimethylaminuria. I think it's usually diagnosed by an endocrinologist. The episode was the "the boy who stopped walking" it re-airs Mar 29, 3:00 pm(EST) on the discovery health channel.
I wish I had an answer.  For the past two months I have perceived an almost constant bad smell coming from my left nostril. No one else smells it.  All foods have the same yucky smell whether green onions, garlic, strawberries, steak, brown rice pancakes, but it does not smell like cigarette smoke. It is also affecting my taste and I have a burning mouth.  I've never smoked, but have had numerous bizarre medical problems: sudden deafness left ear; neurosurgery for Chiari Malformation, celiac disease, Barrett's esophagus, recent surgery for basal cell skin cancer in right lower eyelid.  I eat healthy, fresh whole foods and exercise 5 days per week. I take Armour Thyroid, Lisinopril & Nexium (40 mg) for the Barrett's esophagus.  I don't even know where to begin with this except some on this forum have suggest ENTs.  I am losing my appetite because of this persistent problem.

cndygirl
I too have this bad nose odor, I cant even walk into the grocery store without feeling depressed. People arent shy about letting you kno you stink these days! I'm currently trying the NeilMed Sinus Rinse, it seems to be helping. I tilt my head backwards instead of forward, as it seems to have a better effect. It's in a blue and white box with a plastic irrigation bottle with a blk top. Try it and please let me know your results. B a r e K a n v a s @ a o l . c o m
I have had the same thing for the past three years on and off. I was always told from my doctor that it was just a sinus infection or allergies. It first smelled like something rotten then went to a burnt smell and I did a neti pot a few times which feels like it just stirred things up in there because after I did it I smelled the smell BIG time. I didnt have insurance to do other tests at the time until recently. I finally went to an ENT doctor who told me that my ears, nose, and throat all check out fine and whatever is causing it is not from them. I've had 2 CT scans that come out fine and bloodwork and was told to go to a neurologist. He told me that sometimes a bad odor smell can be caused from something called simple complex seizures (not trying to scare anyone). He said these are not the seizures you think of with all the shaking and going unconscious but different where you are awake but it does something with your senses. Going in for an MRI and eeg tomorrow just to get it checked out. I sitll think its my sinuses but the MRI should let me know.