Respiratory Disorders Expert Forum
SMOKING Marijuana brown specs in sputum

This forum is for questions and support regarding lung and respiratory issues. such as: Allergies, Asthma, Bronchitis, Colds - Flu, Chronic Cough, COPD, Cystic Fibrosis, Emphysema, Fibrosis, Lung Abscess, Nasal Polyps, Pleurisy, Pneumonia, Sarcoidosis, Sinusitis, Tuberculosis.

SMOKING Marijuana brown specs in sputum

I am 36 years old and have been smoking marijuana since college mainly on weekends.  Over the last 6 years I become a daily users, taking a few inhales a couple times a day.  I quit about 2 months ago.  Over the last year or so, i noticed that I have brown mixed in my sputum.  Also after smoking I would have what seem to be restricted type breathing.  Sometimes through the day I would fell a funny gas feeling in throat.  I do not have a cough, but I force a cough to clear my throat and lungs. This is when see it.  Mostly in morning, but sometimes throughout day.  Back in October, I coughed up some blood and went to the doctor.  I told him everthing, and he did a blood test, chest x-ray, and a Pulmonary Function Test.  The blood test came back good, White Blood Cell Count 6.4, Red Blood Cell Count 5.22, Hemoglobin, 46.7, MCV 89.4, MCH 31.2, MCHC 34.9.  He told me that the Chest X-ray was normal, and I haven't received the PLT results, but the technician told me that I had excellent oxygen level in blood, and exceeded the other test well.  The tech stated that my minimums should be at 85% and I was up at 102 to 130% on most test. My doctor said he was to concern with the brown specs and the blood could have come from sinus drainage. It has not occured since.  I also experienced a slight difficult breathing when irritants like dust where in the air.  Over the last few weeks, my breathing has improved. Doctor also stated that I was suffering from Reflux and put me on Protonix. I'm been very anxious & compulsively about my breathing. I've been put on Anxiety med. Concerned still
It sounds like you developed chronic bronchitis from the chronic smoking.  One can have bad chronic bronchitis, with a normal chest x-ray and normal pulmonary function tests (PFTs).  You made a good choice to quit.  You are fortunate to have quit before your lungs were damaged permanently.  This damage would show up on your PFTs.  People will often continue to cough up bad looking stuff for months after quitting smoking.  It could also come from the irritation of your sinuses by the smoke.

Sounds like you are going to be fine, but only if you continue to avoid smoking in any form.
Correction: My Doctor wasn't to concerned about brown specs.
I used to smoke the ganja too, and had the same effects with my lungs after I quit. I'm no doctor, but I think its due to your lungs healing slowly and the new sensation is odd.  Then again I quit cigarettes at the same time.  I think maybe our lungs may have been a bit hyperinflated if thats possible (lost their elasticity).  Does it often feel like you're looking for a deep breath but can't find it?  (when at rest)   You may also want to consider GERD,  I had it and wasn't consciously aware of it.  If you're really worried then ask your doc for a lung CT. I was offered one but turned it down due to radiation exposure risk--I hedged my bets on the 99% chance it would be negative over the radiation.  Good luck.
ps  you might ask for an echo too, shortness of breath can indicate the necessity for an echo as far as insurance is concerned