Respiratory Disorders Community
SUGAR causes pleghm buildup

This patient support community is for discussions relating to lung and respiratory issues, allergies, asthma, bronchitis, colds/flu, chronic cough, COPD, lung abscess, nasal polyps, pleurisy, pneumonia, sarcoidosis, and tuberculosis.

SUGAR causes pleghm buildup

When I eat foods high in sugar, for example milk, dairy, bread or other food with a lot of sugar the need to clear my throat becomes much more pronounced. I've noticed drinking a lot more water seems to help AND so does taking digestive enzymes before I eat. I was given medication for GERD, but it seemed ridiculous to me (and it didn't help either).

This discussion is related to 2 small spots in right lung.
Avatar_dr_f_tn
Hello and hope you are doing well.

Yes, consumption of water or the enzymes could have a mucolytic effect, which is thinning of the sputum. The thickening of the mucous to sugars could be an allergic reaction to complex sugars or it could be that concentrated substances can absorb water and lead to formation of thick mucus.

Hope this helped and do keep us posted.