Sawdust Exposure

I've recently started wood working and for about the past month for a couple hours a week I have been cutting wood.  Sometimes with the garage door open sometimes closed and most of the time with a mask, but not all the time.  A few times I noticed brown snot in my nose.  Recently I've started have sharp and dull back and chest pains and a dry cough.  My breathing is fine and I have had no problems with running regularly.  I saw a physician and he didn't really have anything to tell other than it might be heart burn.  I had a chest x-ray which was unremarkable and all my airways sounded normal.  I've had the symptoms for almost two week.  Any idea if a short term exposure to untreated oak sawdust could cause this long lasting irritation and pain?  I understand how mucocilliary clearance works, but maybe I overwhelmed it?  Perhaps fungus from the wood?  I just don't want to end up with fibrosis.  I can imagine permanent damage from a career of wood working, but maybe it's possible from short term exposure too.  I've stopped all woodworking until I figure this out.  Thanks...
I wanted to add that the back pain comes in two parts.  The dull pain is all the time and the sharper pain is when I'm bent forward and take a really deep breath.  Regular breathing does not hurt at all.
Follow this breathing technique for 20 minutes, to expel the old  air and any particles in the lung. Continue this daily, and you will know when you may be able to resume woodworking. I have described the back exercise for you as well.
Build up your timing gradually.If you feel tired or dizzy, stop and resume after one minute.
Kapalbhati pranayam -(Do it before eating) Push air forcefully out through the nose about once per second. Stomach will itself go in(contract in). The breathing in(through the nose) will happen automatically. Establish a rhythm and do for 20 to 30 minutes twice a day. Children under 15 years – do 5 to 10 minutes twice a day.
Not for pregnant women. Seriously ill people do it gently.
--

Markata asan – very good for the spinal cord and back problems.
Procedure 1
1. Lie on back, join toes and heel together.
2. Now bend knees and place the heels close to buttocks.
3. Keep both feet resting on the floor.
4. Place both hands straight with palms upside, lying on floor and parallel to the shoulders.
5. Breathe normally. Keeping the knees joined, turn the knees to the right towards the  ground (left knee will be above the right knee).
6. Turn the neck to the other (left) side as much as possible.
7. Remain in this position for a few seconds.
8. Exhale to come back to starting point.(knees in the middle)
9. Repeat this asana to the other (left) side with same steps.
Procedure 2 (Variant-2)
In this variant the procedure is same except, both legs will remain apart while twisting both the sides, so as to touch one leg’s knee to the other leg’s heel.
1.Lie on back, keep both legs apart, about one  feet. .
3. Turn both the knees to the right, to touch the floor. The left knee should touch the right leg’s heel on the floor.
4. Turn the neck on the opposite side (left) as much as possible.
5. Repeat this posture on the other side with same actions.
6. Repeat this a few times.
Procedure 3 (Variant-3)
1. Lie down straight and spread the hands parallel to the shoulder level, with palms facing up.
2. Inhale and raise the left leg up keeping straight, at 90-degree to the ground, then bend it to the right side of the body to touch the floor. Then try to touch or grip this left leg’s toe by right hand. Turn the neck to the left side.
3. Stay in this position for few seconds and come back to the normal lying posture.
4. Now repeat the same procedure with right leg. Raise the right leg straight upward at 90-degree to the floor. Bend it to the left side of your body to touch the floor. Now try to touch or grip this right leg’s toe by left hand. Turn your neck to the right side.
5. Repeat this posture for two to three times both sides.
January 4 ,2012
Hello and hope you are doing well.

If with movement you are getting pain it is likely to be an inflammation of the skin, subcutaneous tissue or the bone. This can happen with injury, repetitive activity or an infection of the skin. Sometimes it can be costo-chondritis, inflammation of the sterna rib junction. If the pain is aggravated with work or exercise then it could be due to cardiac pain. Also, if you experience problems with breathing it could be due to bronchospasm, due to Asthma. Have yourself evaluated for the same. This can be detected by a spirometry test. Discuss these options with your consulting doctor.

Hope this helped and do keep us posted.