Respiratory Disorders Community
Scar Tissue

This patient support community is for discussions relating to lung and respiratory issues, allergies, asthma, bronchitis, colds/flu, chronic cough, COPD, lung abscess, nasal polyps, pleurisy, pneumonia, sarcoidosis, and tuberculosis.

Scar Tissue

Last year my husband had multiple blood clots in the lungs as a result of having a major knee and leg surgery and not being place on blood thinner after the surgery.  He was in the hospital for several days and we were told by the doctors how fortunate he was to be alive.  

He was placed on coumidin (mis-spelled I'm sure) for one year.  The local doctor had his lungs scanned to make sure that the clots were gone.  They sent his x-rays to a pulmonologist to read because they saw something on the scan.  The pulmonologist tells us he is 99.0% sure it is just scar tissue by the way it appears on the scan but will re-scan him every three months just to be sure.  The "scar tissue" wasn't on the scans made at the hospital when the blood clots nearly killed him but it was there one year later and the doctor said that made him feel better about it since it had appeared post blood clots and one year later.

Is it common to get scar tissue after having blood clots and is scare tissue different in appearance on a ct scan than cancer.  I guess I'm just looking for reassurance.  I trust the doctor but it is really scary when they talk about needing to rescan.  I guess I should be glad he is precautionary.
I began having shortness of breath (sob) about 6 years ago, went to the doctor and was told it was congestive heart failure. The doctor put me in the hospital and after many tests, they determined it wasn't my heart, I had 17 blood clots in my right lung, 22 in my left. They put me on coumadin and sent me home. At first, I went to the doctor every 3 mo. for x-rays and pulminary tests, I was told I had scar tissue on my lungs and that I had lost about 50% of my lung capacity, but I wasn't in any danger of dying, they said I would probably have the scar tissue for the rest of my life. They told me my scarring was caused by my liver producing too many anticardiolipin antibodies, and I would be on blood thinners the rest of my life. The doctors told me to walk at least 30 minutes a day to exercise my lungs and to help keep my heart strong. I now go once a month to check the thinness of my blood, and every 6 months to a pulminary doctor for x-rays. I hope what I told you helped ease your worries.