Respiratory Disorders Community
Scar Tissue
About This Community:

This patient support community is for discussions relating to lung and respiratory issues, allergies, asthma, bronchitis, colds/flu, chronic cough, COPD, lung abscess, nasal polyps, pleurisy, pneumonia, sarcoidosis, and tuberculosis.

Font Size:
A
A
A
Background:
Blank
Blank
Blank
Blank Blank

Scar Tissue

Last year my husband had multiple blood clots in the lungs as a result of having a major knee and leg surgery and not being place on blood thinner after the surgery.  He was in the hospital for several days and we were told by the doctors how fortunate he was to be alive.  

He was placed on coumidin (mis-spelled I'm sure) for one year.  The local doctor had his lungs scanned to make sure that the clots were gone.  They sent his x-rays to a pulmonologist to read because they saw something on the scan.  The pulmonologist tells us he is 99.0% sure it is just scar tissue by the way it appears on the scan but will re-scan him every three months just to be sure.  The "scar tissue" wasn't on the scans made at the hospital when the blood clots nearly killed him but it was there one year later and the doctor said that made him feel better about it since it had appeared post blood clots and one year later.

Is it common to get scar tissue after having blood clots and is scare tissue different in appearance on a ct scan than cancer.  I guess I'm just looking for reassurance.  I trust the doctor but it is really scary when they talk about needing to rescan.  I guess I should be glad he is precautionary.