Respiratory Disorders Community
Scaring on lungs
About This Community:

This patient support community is for discussions relating to lung and respiratory issues, allergies, asthma, bronchitis, colds/flu, chronic cough, COPD, lung abscess, nasal polyps, pleurisy, pneumonia, sarcoidosis, and tuberculosis.

Font Size:
A
A
A
Background:
Blank
Blank
Blank
Blank Blank

Scaring on lungs

Three years ago during a routine x-ray they found something that looked like a faint nodule.After a c-scan my doctor said, it was scar tissue. He explained I have minor scaring on the bottom of both lungs and on the outside of tubes leading to lungs.Ihave had two more catscans since and there has been no change. At one point when re-reading the reports he said, "You have Pulmonary Fibrosis". I was surprised because he never termed it like that and knew that's a fatal lung disease. I said, "I have pulmonary Fibrosis??" "You mean I'mgoing to die within 3-5 years??" He said, "You're not going to die in 3-5 years. When I say Pulmonary Fibrosis" I mean Fibrosis which means scarring  and"pulmonary" which means lungs. "
        I'm still uneasy. Is all scarring on lungs called Pulmonary Fibrosis? Could the scarring be caused by childhood whooping cough?
         I never smoked but know two people who told me they were diagnosed with scarring on their lungs over 20 years ago. (one is a smoker)  When I my doctor if this scarring could be from over 40years ago when  I had whooping cough? He said "yes". I'm still worried.