Respiratory Disorders Expert Forum
Screening CXRs for tuberculosis

This forum is for questions and support regarding lung and respiratory issues. such as: Allergies, Asthma, Bronchitis, Colds - Flu, Chronic Cough, COPD, Cystic Fibrosis, Emphysema, Fibrosis, Lung Abscess, Nasal Polyps, Pleurisy, Pneumonia, Sarcoidosis, Sinusitis, Tuberculosis.

Screening CXRs for tuberculosis
My internist performs screening chest x-rays.  I understand that it is not recommended for the screening of lung cancer.  However, my internist says that he performs it for the early detection of tuberculosis.  He said that many people are exposed to foreigners (especially in L.A.) who are infected.  They go many years not knowing they have TB until it's too late.  Do you agree with this?
No.  Routine chest x-rays for screening for TB in individuals without a specific contact history and/or symptoms is not recommended.
Asthma Tracker
Asthma Tracker
Allergy Tracker
Allergy Tracker