Seasonal allergies or bronchitis?
I have had a cough for 5 weeks now, it is productive of green sputum and initiated with a low grade fever and body aches. Now only the cough remains. I have wheezes and crackles when I breathe. After a clear chest x-ray, my doctor said it was seasonal allergies and prescribed a medrol dose pack (7 day steroids) to reduce the inflammation. I am concerned that if I have bacterial bronchitis, the steroids will only worsen the infection because they lower your immune system. If it is viral bronchitis, lowering my immune system would worsen that also wouldn't it? From what I've read both bacterial and viral bronchitis should clear up on their own within a week. Which leads me to think it may be bacterial since I know sometimes bacteria  can linger longer.
I started the steroids today so I guess there is no going back since you have to wean off of them. What are the chances that this really is seasonal allergies though? I don't have any other congestion besides my chest and some fluid in my ears. No runny nose or itchy eyes or anything, and like I said- I'm coughing up green stuff.
Thanks for reading, I'd appreciate any thoughts or sharing of your own experience.