Respiratory Disorders Expert Forum
Second-hand smoking

This forum is for questions and support regarding lung and respiratory issues. such as: Allergies, Asthma, Bronchitis, Colds - Flu, Chronic Cough, COPD, Cystic Fibrosis, Emphysema, Fibrosis, Lung Abscess, Nasal Polyps, Pleurisy, Pneumonia, Sarcoidosis, Sinusitis, Tuberculosis.

Second-hand smoking
I have to interview a professional on a topic I have to do for my journalism class; however, none of the local doctors are able to get back to me. Also I can't use books or academic papers as resources. My question is what does second-hand smoking cause? Does second-hand smoking aggravate other diseases or disorders?
Second hand smoke can cause or aggravate all the lung diseases including, but far from limited to COPD and lung cancer associated with cigarette smoking…It is just delivered to the lungs in a less concentrated form.  The more tightly enclosed is the venue the more likely is there to be significant lung damage.

I am surprised that you are forbidden to use books or medical journals to prepare yourself for the interview.  You might want to address some of the following:  how good is the evidence for damage from second hand smoke?; are persons with a family history of emphysema likely to be more vulnerable to the toxic effects of 2nd hand smoke?; does the exposure have to be for hours each day, at work or in the home?; is there anything one can do to counteract the effects of this smoke? Is exposure to 2nd hand smoke especially harmful to persons with asthma or cystic fibrosis?

I suggest that you contact the local branch of the American Lung Association for further assistance.

Good luck
Asthma Tracker
Asthma Tracker
Allergy Tracker
Allergy Tracker