Respiratory Disorders Community
Severe Cough has lasted more than 5 weeks, please help

This patient support community is for discussions relating to lung and respiratory issues, allergies, asthma, bronchitis, colds/flu, chronic cough, COPD, lung abscess, nasal polyps, pleurisy, pneumonia, sarcoidosis, and tuberculosis.

I've had a severe cough (worse at night) for over 5 weeks. Other symptoms (mild fever, body aches, tiredness, congestion, GI problems) go up in down in severity. Currently my cough is so severe I can't sleep, it is gagging, causes watery red eyes, inability to breathe, wheezing, and it the fits, loose bladder control.  I don't understand what this is, or why it has lasted so long. I have gone through large bottles of Robatussin, Nyquil, and other cold/flu treatments. What could this be? I do not have the ability to see a doctor - the wait at the free clinic is 4 weeks, and that is to get approved to make an appointment.
Avatar_dr_f_tn
Hello and hope you are doing well.

Cough, chest tightness and breathlessness the three symptoms are the triad of symptoms for Asthma. It is a disease affecting the lungs causing narrowing of the airways, usually due to an allergic reaction to triggering factors. Therapy is with bronchodilators which cause the airways to dilate. Your symptoms could also be due to COPD or Bronchiectasis. The other causes could be due to Bronchitis or Cystic fibrosis. You will need to consult your doctor who may need to do a sputum culture and sensitivity to determine what antibiotic the organism is susceptible to.  He may even ask for repeat blood test and an X ray. Lung function tests could further help in evaluation. In the meantime take OTC acetaminophen, try to take warm oral fluids and do steam inhalations prior to your meals. This helps to loosen up and bring out the secretions.

Hope this helped and do keep us posted.