Severe Coughing after eating or drinking
Thank you for the information now here's my story:
Five years ago, I had a bad chest cold, the doctor's office was over booked by two hours and I coughed till I was blue.
After that I developed slight asthema, I also went for dental work, which I overmedicated on baby asprin, Advil, etc., and wound up having an endoscopy done which resulted in a little reflux and small herina, after being on Previdcid went away.  In 12/09 I started to break out in those massive hives closing my throat and into the ER twice, I went to an allergist the day before the last ER visit and he told me to take OTC meds; which I said would not work, he didn't listen and now he will pay my ER visit.  Now I am coughing after eating or drinking.  It feels like a dry cough from down deep in my belly when I do cough.  I do feel some nasal congestion at times but sometimes do cough up little globs of green, then stop coughing.  I don't trust doctors because they don't listen to me; they want to 'blanket cover' everyone under the same symptom.  I was seeing a pulmonary, he was giving me shots of steriods, inhaler, Advir; but when I was breaking out in hives, went to see him and he then saw the 'relation' between my hives and coughing.  I am still coughing after eating & drinking and now am unemployed, looking for work.   The ER gave me an Epi pin and the GP gave me a box of steriods, incase I get those massive hives again... But all of this does not explain for fix what is wrong with me.  I don't know who to trust.  I also am hypothyroid and in reading... may  be the cause of some of my problems, but again,  when an Endocronologist tells you "I've never heard of a swollen tongue in my 19 years of teaching", you darn wonder what kinds of people are out there they call themselves doctors!

This discussion is related to Coughing every time I eat or drink.
Have you ever had allergy testing to see if you are allergic to something you are eating or drinking?
As a speech therapist working mainly with people with dysphagia, or swallowing disorders, I suggest speaking with your GP or an ENT and getting a swallow study. you may have abnormalities in your swallow causing material to not fully clear and trickle down into your windpipe later. GERD can cause swallowing difficulties in a number of ways. If not dealt with, dysphagia can result in aspiration pneumonia or a number of other health problems. I've met people with this problem who have suffered for many years without treatment because they simple thought "that's the way I am." There are many ways to combat this problem, including diet changes, positioning, exercises, & e-stim. I hope you are able to find relief.