Respiratory Disorders Expert Forum
Severe Coughing

This forum is for questions and support regarding lung and respiratory issues. such as: Allergies, Asthma, Bronchitis, Colds - Flu, Chronic Cough, COPD, Cystic Fibrosis, Emphysema, Fibrosis, Lung Abscess, Nasal Polyps, Pleurisy, Pneumonia, Sarcoidosis, Sinusitis, Tuberculosis.

Severe Coughing

My wife has had a very severe cough for more than a month.  It primarily occurs at night - every night, sometimes several times a night and rarely in the morning.  It is so severe that it leads to vomiting and panic level shortness of breath. It is prohibiting any restful sleep and keeps her awake for hours afterword causing fatigue throught the day. There is some phlegm with the cough.  She is 42, a smoker, is allergic to cats and dogs although we have had a 4 lb yorkie for 4.5 years with only mild and occasional reaction in my wife.  We recently (6 months) ago added a Parrot to the household.  

Although she has not been formally treated for asthma Doctor's have discussed it and have given samples of different things to try when pet allergies kick in.  

The latest was an ADVAIR disc inhaler.  Although she will only take the Advair when the cough is getting extreme, but when taken during an attack, it stops the cough immediately.

She will not go to a doctor presumeably fearful of what they may tell her.  Any thoughts?
You must persuade your wife to go to the doctor.  She could have pneumonia.  It could even have been acquired from the parrot!  Psittacosis is an uncommon infectious pneumonia caused by Chlamydia psittaci.  It is transmitted to humans by certain birds.  If this is what your wife has, it must be treated.  This is too serious a matter to be left to chance.

This might also be a good time to strongly suggest that she stop smoking, especially now when she is sick with a respiratory illness.  Your wife may want to look at our giving up smoking information at http://www.nationaljewish.org/disease-info/wellness/smoking/index.aspx for ways to help you to quit smoking.  Also check with your wife
Hi..sounds alot like she needs some more testing done, such as pulmonary function testing at the very least, even get a sample of her mucous to test for any bacteria, molds etc... I know she may be afraid to go to the the doc, but she needs the right diagnosis so that she can get the correct treatment. If she is this miserable, and she sounds it, it may even get worse if she doesn't get it treated properly. She has allergies, smokes and there are many pets, including a parrot. So, anything is possible. The Advair that she was given is usually used everyday, as a preventative medication for her asthma. It contains both a steroid as well as a long acting bronchodilator, it shouldn't be used when she is suddenly short of breath. There are other meds that are used for that like Albuterol, which quickly open up the airways. Please stress to your wife that she needs to see someone, preferrably a specialist like a pulmonologist. -Sunny
Can somebody please tell me if there is a substitute for Advair?  It definitely works for my asthma, however, it is very expensive, even though, my insurance pays a part of it.  Please help and thank you in advance.