Respiratory Disorders Community
Severe Pain after Pulmonary Embolism

This patient support community is for discussions relating to lung and respiratory issues, allergies, asthma, bronchitis, colds/flu, chronic cough, COPD, lung abscess, nasal polyps, pleurisy, pneumonia, sarcoidosis, and tuberculosis.

Severe Pain after Pulmonary Embolism

29 yr female, no hx of clotting or helth issues, diagnosed with a bilateral, multi clot, multi site PE last week.  Was admitted to hospital with chest pain 10/10, shortness of breath x 4 days.  My D-dimer test was very elevated and my ct scan showed the multiple sites, multiple clots.
I had constant severe chest pain on my left side the day I was admitted,(stayed inpat 24 hrs) which eased some over the next 2 days with pain medication. Was given Heprin and warfarin.  The pain seem to just be aggravated by movement and deep breathing. I started having " episodes" of pain that last from 5 to 30 minutes and include sharp stabbing pains as well as pressure starting at my clavicle and radiating down into my chest and then around my ribs to my back. Its almost too intense to breath.
Then the pain stopped completely on my left side and attacked my right side on the 4 day.  Same pain but more severe, more constant. Went back to urgent care and was told xray and o2 sat is fine.
Pain pills help take the edge off, but we are now on day 7 and the pain is just as bad as one day one.  My pumonary specialist does'nt beleive my pain is as severe as I am reporting, but I have had two other Md's tell me it is normal.......
Has anyone else had the initial severe pain this long and is it something I should be concerned with?
YES! Any changes in pain or breathing to be reported to an emergency doctor immediately. PE's are life threatening and can cause sudden death. My brother was a healthy 31 year old man who presented with shortness of breath, wheeziness and clavicle pain over a two day period. One morning he suddenly dropped dead. This is no joke. Take your symptoms seriously and be your best advocate when doctors try to brush you off. Morphine is good pain control and dilates pulmonary vessels to decrease shortness of breath. Blood clots in the lungs cut circulation and cause death of lung tissue. This is no doubt painful. The loss of lung tissue can cause parts of the lung to collapse. Pain should always be treated as described by the patient, not what the doctors think it is. Hope this helps. Well wishes to you!
My mother is having chronic pulmonary emboli. She on morphine syrup. Dr says it is terminal Is that correct treatment?
Does she have pulmonary emboli or pleural effusio?. At any rate morphine dilates the pulmonary vessels to decrease pulmomary congestion, pain and breathing effort. Low dose opiates and first choice in managing chronic lung diseases at end stage: COPD, Congestive heart failure, effusions and PE's. I hope your mother finds comfort and peace.