Respiratory Disorders Expert Forum
Severe allergies possibly affected by mulch?

This forum is for questions and support regarding lung and respiratory issues. such as: Allergies, Asthma, Bronchitis, Colds - Flu, Chronic Cough, COPD, Cystic Fibrosis, Emphysema, Fibrosis, Lung Abscess, Nasal Polyps, Pleurisy, Pneumonia, Sarcoidosis, Sinusitis, Tuberculosis.

I have severe allergic rhinitis and am used to not feeling well, in particular when pollen counts are high.  However, I have been feeling worse lately - chest ache, lower back ache, sore throat, unproductive cough, ever since spreading mulch in my garden.  Is there a connection? Are there particulates inherent in mulch which have further irritated my respiratory function?
It is more likely the molds that you stirred up in the garden, which often cause the types of symptoms you have described.
Interesting you should comment on this.  I thought the same thing after spreading lots of mulch a few years ago.  I would not doubt that depending on where and what kind, there could be irritants.  My theory was that there might be mold spores especially.  I don't know if that is the case, but I now wear a horribly uncomfortable mask when I spread mulch.  The year I got my first sinus infection, I put a truckload of compost down, and spread 3 truck loads of mulch.

I wish someone would do a study on all of us on this forum.  I would answer a thousand page questionnaire if I thought doctors could get to the bottom of all the sinus issues.  Who knows if every one of us spread mulch prior to our infections?  A doctor won't ever ask that....
could be molds or fungus - i have had allergic rhinitis (mainly post nasal drip) for years - i found sugary foods made the mucu run like crazy - I thought this could be a sign of some yeat/fungus whatever living around my nose/sinus/etc - avoiding sugary stuff helped with the symptoms. I have just done 2 weeks on nystatin - an anti fungal agent. They have been great weeks - could breath like normal and no post nasal drip after such a long time. Now the course is finished I think it's coming back. I had to twist the doc's arm to try this stuff and it seems to work so maybe my hypothesis is alnog the right lines. I assume I am allergic to the organsim itself or it's products. May also apply to you - just a thought.
A related discussion, Allergies and Mulch was started.
A related discussion, Garden Mulch was started.
Asthma Tracker
Asthma Tracker
Allergy Tracker
Allergy Tracker