Respiratory Disorders Expert Forum
Severe allergies possibly affected by mulch?
About This Forum:

This forum is for questions and support regarding lung and respiratory issues. such as: Allergies, Asthma, Bronchitis, Colds - Flu, Chronic Cough, COPD, Cystic Fibrosis, Emphysema, Fibrosis, Lung Abscess, Nasal Polyps, Pleurisy, Pneumonia, Sarcoidosis, Sinusitis, Tuberculosis.

Font Size:
A
A
A
Background:
Blank
Blank
Blank
This expert forum is not accepting new questions. Please post your question in one of our medical support communities.
Blank Blank

Severe allergies possibly affected by mulch?

I have severe allergic rhinitis and am used to not feeling well, in particular when pollen counts are high.  However, I have been feeling worse lately - chest ache, lower back ache, sore throat, unproductive cough, ever since spreading mulch in my garden.  Is there a connection? Are there particulates inherent in mulch which have further irritated my respiratory function?
Related Discussions
251132_tn?1198082422
It is more likely the molds that you stirred up in the garden, which often cause the types of symptoms you have described.
3 Comments
Blank
Interesting you should comment on this.  I thought the same thing after spreading lots of mulch a few years ago.  I would not doubt that depending on where and what kind, there could be irritants.  My theory was that there might be mold spores especially.  I don't know if that is the case, but I now wear a horribly uncomfortable mask when I spread mulch.  The year I got my first sinus infection, I put a truckload of compost down, and spread 3 truck loads of mulch.

I wish someone would do a study on all of us on this forum.  I would answer a thousand page questionnaire if I thought doctors could get to the bottom of all the sinus issues.  Who knows if every one of us spread mulch prior to our infections?  A doctor won't ever ask that....
Blank
could be molds or fungus - i have had allergic rhinitis (mainly post nasal drip) for years - i found sugary foods made the mucu run like crazy - I thought this could be a sign of some yeat/fungus whatever living around my nose/sinus/etc - avoiding sugary stuff helped with the symptoms. I have just done 2 weeks on nystatin - an anti fungal agent. They have been great weeks - could breath like normal and no post nasal drip after such a long time. Now the course is finished I think it's coming back. I had to twist the doc's arm to try this stuff and it seems to work so maybe my hypothesis is alnog the right lines. I assume I am allergic to the organsim itself or it's products. May also apply to you - just a thought.
Blank
A related discussion, Allergies and Mulch was started.
Blank
A related discussion, Garden Mulch was started.
Blank
Continue discussion Blank
Blank
Request an Appointment
Blank
Asthma Tracker
Asthma Tracker
Start Tracking Now
Blank
Allergy Tracker
Allergy Tracker
Start Tracking Now