Respiratory Disorders Expert Forum
Severe cough that worsens as day progresses

This forum is for questions and support regarding lung and respiratory issues. such as: Allergies, Asthma, Bronchitis, Colds - Flu, Chronic Cough, COPD, Cystic Fibrosis, Emphysema, Fibrosis, Lung Abscess, Nasal Polyps, Pleurisy, Pneumonia, Sarcoidosis, Sinusitis, Tuberculosis.

I've had an itchy cough for just over two weeks now, which has been steadily getting worse. It started at around midday with a bout of intense itchiness in my throat that made me cough to the point of retching. After a few minutes, the feeling dissappeared. However, that night my throat got slightly itchy again and the feeling has been getting stronger ever since.

I now have a sore throat and a slightly inflamed right tonsil as well as the itch. The itch starts off weak during the morning, when i cough about once every minute and progressively gets much worse towards the evening, when i end up coughing deeply every 10 seconds or so. I'm having extreme difficulty sleeping, and when i do, i always wake up a few hours afterwards. At first, it was a dry cough, but now i'm coughing up some mucus (which i can't cough out and has to be swallowed).

What's strange is that i havn't experienced any other symptoms of illness apart from those that i've described...

During the first week i tried taking both antihistamines and cough suppressants (dextromethorphan), but neither have had any effect. This is going to drive me crazy!!
There are so many reasons for an itchy throat and/or a sore throat leading to a cough.  It could be from a viral infection that has lingered, a sinus infection with postnasal drainage or even a new allergic exposure, such as molds in your room.  Your best bet, since this has persisted, is to have your doctor look into your throat and possibly even get a sinus CT scan.  Knowing the cause will lead to an effective treatment.
Try a Saline nasal spray before you go to sleep.  See if that helps.  It seems to help me temporarily but the cough comes back.
hi used to hane trouble with choking waking me up (every 15 mins was the worst night). i had a persistent cough caused by mucous. The mucous (post nasal drip) was caused by food allergies: wheat, gluten, soy (maybe dairy). Had other symptoms like upset indigestion.  Once I got these out of my diet I have recovered 100%.

Can you find the root couse of the mucous? Could it be an allergy to food, something in the air? Is it just a cold virus that will take it's course and clear up in a week or 2? Treating the symptoms might help but treating the cause is best.
I find a baking soda/salt nasal wash does wonders when I have congestion from a cold. good luck.
HAVE YOU BEEN CHECKED FOR ACID REFLUX(GERD)YOU WILL BE SUPRISED THATS THE SYSTOMS THAT GERD CAUSES,I DIDNT THINK SO UNTILL MY 10 YEAR OLD DAUGHTER HAS A BAD COUGH WITH EXCESSIVE PHLEM FOR OVER 5 MONTHS-SHE ALSO HAD SINUS DISEASE ALSO WITH 100 PERCENT BLOCKAGE SO HOPE YOU FIND YOUR ANSWE AND GOOD LUCK-LITTLEVICK0