Respiratory Disorders Community
Severe pain in front right rib cage

This patient support community is for discussions relating to lung and respiratory issues, allergies, asthma, bronchitis, colds/flu, chronic cough, COPD, lung abscess, nasal polyps, pleurisy, pneumonia, sarcoidosis, and tuberculosis.

Severe pain in front right rib cage

I have had a very bad bout of flu with wheezing and have recovered...the cough is almost going away...however, from yesterday, i have developed a severe strain kind of a pain in the right upper rib cage just below the breast, which is constant...when i cough i have to hold my right breast so that it does not pain much...would like to know the cause of this strain like pain and whether any tests are recommended....is there a problem with my breast or rib cage ?    I am 55 yrs.
Pl do respond.
Thank you so much.
i would go to a doctor that needs to be checked put my mom had the same thing they said it was something to do with her lung so i would deff. make an appt. with your doctor or go to the er. that deff. needs to be checked..
thank you very much for your immediate response....yes, will definitely have this checked....hope nothing serious !!  God bless.
Avatar_dr_f_tn
Hello and hope you are doing well.

The constant coughing could cause muscle strain and chest pain. Sometimes the pleura, the lining of the chest cavity and lungs can get inflamed causing pain with coughing. Sometimes it can be costo-chondritis, inflammation of the sterna rib junction. Only a consultation with your primary care physician can help diagnose. In the meantime you can take OTC pain medication Ibuprofen. Ensure to take this medication after food to avoid gastritis.

Hope this helped and do keep us posted.
Thank you very much for your response to my post...yes, I did take Ibuprofen for 2 days and gradually the pain disappeared...it might have been a muscle pull as I figured out it could have been with my dog on the leash and a sudden pull by him as my right side jammed into a wall pillar and caused a bad dent/bruise on my forehand.
Thanks all the same...God bless.
Did you get it checked out ? God Bless