Respiratory Disorders Expert Forum
Severe throat tickles

This forum is for questions and support regarding lung and respiratory issues. such as: Allergies, Asthma, Bronchitis, Colds - Flu, Chronic Cough, COPD, Cystic Fibrosis, Emphysema, Fibrosis, Lung Abscess, Nasal Polyps, Pleurisy, Pneumonia, Sarcoidosis, Sinusitis, Tuberculosis.

Severe throat tickles

I have had a severe tickling in the throat and it can't be relieved. It all started with a cold about 2 years ago. Since then, on the spur of a moment, the throat starts to tickle severely and I can't make it stop. Relief comes from Ricola Natural Herb Cough Drops, but it takes time. I slam a few swallows of a Coke product and it clears it temporarily. My doctor (ear, nose & throat) prescribed a syrup that does absolutely nothing but taste bad. I am a singer and right in the middle or towards the end of a song it starts in.... every song. I have some sinus drainage at times. I need something to stop this forever. Can you help?
The most common cause of a severe tickle in your throat is postnasal drip.  Another is hyperreactivity of the upper airways.  Usually this happens along with chronic inflammation.  A trial of a mild topical anesthetic or an inhaled steroid might be helpful.
I have exactly the same problem.It is so severe,I am desperate.I was on pills like clarinex,oral steroids,caughjuice,antibiotics,rhinocort,saline solution.None of it did a thing.The caughdrops,Halls save me for a little while.I get these attacts all through the day.It usually lasts 3 month after each cold I catch.Then It just goes away.Till the next cold.The tickling makes my mouth,nose and eyes run heavily with severe caughing and choking.How can I get some releave,so I can live a normal life.It wakes me up at night too.Thanks mannu
That's EXACTLY my symptoms!!  EXACTLY!!  I sing in a band and rarely can I make it through a song without choking up.  What IS this stuff??!!!!
Do you take any medications,it could be a sideeffect.Something that dries out the airways such as in my case glaucoma meds or zoloft.There are many meds that dry out the skin,even coffe tea alcohol.I do drink a lot of coffee.All I know is,I need to find an end to this.I am at the end of my rope.If you ever find a solution or a cause for this,please let me know.I will do the same and post it.
Atorvastatin, Metoprolol, Asprin, Felodipine, Lisinopril, Potassium Citrate.  All for either cholesterol or high bp.  I was on these BEFORE the tickling without the episodes.  My ENT doctor said it is most likely post nasal drip.  His remedy didn't work and it tasted bad.
I've had a post nasal drip most of my life till I was about 12... I never had anything resembling throat tickles. never even heard it mentioned as a symptom of... thats kind of odd...hmm...
http://www.lionsgrip.com/cosymptoms.html

Please check the above website - there are others like us.
How far medicine has come.They can do heart transplants,open heart surgery,cure cancers,but nothing can be done for us.I guess we just have to keep searching for a solution ourselfes
I had a chronic post nasal drip with constant coughing trying to clear the excess mucous out. Couldn't sleep properly with it and sometimes couldn't talk presumable the larynx went into spasms or something as a mechanism to pretect the lungs...
Anyway after years of antihistanmines and steroid I wokred out it's a food allergu to wheat, gluten and definitely SOY. Soy is in just about everyting processed. Since avoiding them like the plague I am 100% back to normal. I put up with it for 20 years and it got serous 2 years ago when I started having alot more wheat for breakfast. Now I can have one nibble  of a biscuit and start couging... good luck
Mannu - I haven't had the tickles for a few days now.  Why?  I haven't a clue, but it has been about 6 weeks since I got over a cold that started them.  I have NOT change my eating habits, diet, nor anything else.  I am still going to check with my doctor next month... again.
A related discussion, Itchy throat was started.
A related discussion, sinus drip was started.