Respiratory Disorders Community
Shallow Breather & Gasping for Air

This patient support community is for discussions relating to lung and respiratory issues, allergies, asthma, bronchitis, colds/flu, chronic cough, COPD, lung abscess, nasal polyps, pleurisy, pneumonia, sarcoidosis, and tuberculosis.

Shallow Breather & Gasping for Air

Sunday, August 15th @ 3;45am eastern time I woke up gasping for air, like someone was choking me.It took me 3 inhales of breath to actually get my air back. This has happened before but very rarely & with very little inhale to get my breath back.There was no acid reflux that night either and I am also a shallow breather at night, my aunt used to tell me i scared her when i stayed the night with her and slept in the bed with her, she siaid it was hard to tell if i was breathing.. My husband mentioned to me the other night after checking on me repeatedly after the incident on Sunday, He asked me if i knew i was a shallow breather when i sleep.. and i said yes but only because my aunt told me... I was wondering what could cause those two things and are they connected?
Yes, they very well could be connected.  It sounds as though you have sleep apnea.  As you sleep, your airway closes somewhat so you can't take deep breaths.  As you continue sleeping, your airway closes completely.  When you stop breathing, your brain tells you to cough, etc. so that you will start breathing again.  As you start this coughing/choking, you wake up and start breathing normally again.  If you are a snorer, that would be another indication of sleep apnea though not all people with sleep apnea snore.  It is important that you get this checked out soon.  In addition to the fact that you could just stop breathing while sleeping and not start again, this also causes various health issue, like high blood pressure, because your brain and other organs are deprived of the oxygen they need while your airway is partially or completely blocked.  You need to have a sleep test done.  You will go to a sleep center where they will monitor you while you sleep.  They can determine how severe this is and what exactly needs to be done about it.  You may need a CPAP or BIPAP machine while you sleep.  Sometimes losing weight or having your tonsils out, etc. can help this problem as well.  I would talk to a neurologist or an ENT.