Respiratory Disorders Community
Sharp pain in right rib area with breathing or stretching

This patient support community is for discussions relating to lung and respiratory issues, allergies, asthma, bronchitis, colds/flu, chronic cough, COPD, lung abscess, nasal polyps, pleurisy, pneumonia, sarcoidosis, and tuberculosis.

Hi, I have had pain around the right side of my chest for about 3 weeks now. At first it was located more in my back, (really felt like back muscle ache) and in the past week or so it has 'migrated' around to the side and deeper inside the chest under the right ribcage. It is very painful when I take a deep breath (but not so painful that I cannot complete the breath) and also when I arch my back. I had the flu about a month ago and still have residual coughing, which also provokes pain. I mentioned this to my OB (I am 12 weeks pregnant) and she thought it might be a muscle strain from the coughing, but it appeared AFTER I had my flu and is getting worse, not better. Should I be concerned? At what point should I go see a specialist, and what kind?
(I am 30 years old and have never smoked, have a healthy weight and exercise regularly though not excessively).

Thank you!
Your pain looks similar to mine. I went through IVF and have my blood test tomorrow. If it worked I will be four weeks pregnant. Through the process I got sick with of all things ...pneumonia. Ihave been coughing like crazy and now have a sharp pain in my lower right rib which I think is from pulling a muscle while coughing. Your pain sounds simliar to mine. Did it ever go away?