Respiratory Disorders Community
Sharp upper back pain on right side

This patient support community is for discussions relating to lung and respiratory issues, allergies, asthma, bronchitis, colds/flu, chronic cough, COPD, lung abscess, nasal polyps, pleurisy, pneumonia, sarcoidosis, and tuberculosis.

Sharp upper back pain on right side

Hi, I'm 25 years old, I am not a smoker, I don't drink often, and the only ongoing medical history I have is M.E.

When I was out with my mum today, I noticed and felt that the upper right hand side of my back, where the bottom of my lung is, is very painful when I breathe in deeply, and even when I breathe normally.  It is also very painful when I sit down.  I am so uncomfortable at the minute.  I also feel quite sick aswell.  I don't like going to the doctors or hospitals as I have had enough of going in and out before I was diagnosed with my M.E 2 and a half years ago.  I never want to make a fuss, but if someone could maybe suggest something, I would be very greatful.

Thanks.

This discussion is related to sharp upper back pain when i breathe in deep.
Avatar_dr_f_tn
Hello and hope you are doing well.

If with movement you are getting pain it is likely to be an inflammation of the skin, subcutaneous tissue or the bone. This can happen with injury, repetitive activity or an infection of the skin. Sometimes it can be costo-chondritis, inflammation of the sterna rib junction. If the pain is aggravated with work or exercise then it could be due to cardiac pain. But when in doubt always best to have it checked. So please consult your primary care physician who may ask for an EKG or a treadmill test to rule out a cardiac cause for the pain.

Hope this helped and do keep us posted.