Respiratory Disorders Expert Forum
Short of breath and persistent cough

This forum is for questions and support regarding lung and respiratory issues. such as: Allergies, Asthma, Bronchitis, Colds - Flu, Chronic Cough, COPD, Cystic Fibrosis, Emphysema, Fibrosis, Lung Abscess, Nasal Polyps, Pleurisy, Pneumonia, Sarcoidosis, Sinusitis, Tuberculosis.

Short of breath and persistent cough

About two months ago I fainted after eating dinner.  Since then I have had shortness of breath, chronic cough, and a strange tickle that runs from my neck to my sternum.  Recently I have also had difficulty swallowing and frequently feel the need to clear my throat.  The symptoms are worse when I am sitting down.  I have had blood tests, pulmonary tests, asthma tests, chest x-rays, 24 hour heart monitors, EKG's, an MRI, a pregnancy test, and a psychological evaluation -  all came back normal.  I am 31 years old and female, have never smoked, and always exercised frequently and have no known allergies.  (I also have never fainted before and was well-hydrated that day.)  However, since my shortness of breath started I have trouble even walking short distances without stretching and sighing for air.  Now I am very frustrated as this is constricting not only my breathing but also my life.  Does anyone have any advice?  If so, please post here or contact me via my alternative email address: sarah_kalish***@****  - Thank you.
The persistence of shortness of breath is worrisome.  You should have a supervised exercise test.  This test will include breathing measurements and cardiac monitoring during the exercise.  This will show exactly what happens with your body and its physiology at a time when you have exercise-induced shortness of breath.
Could be Hyper-ventilation syndrome, Google it, with this you will find nearly all your symptoms. 31 non smoker, no history of lung disease, I'd say you have nothing to worry about AT ALL. If you still feel unwell ask your Doc about a PFT.
Could be GERD or more commonly known as acid reflux.  Makes me think of this because it's after dinner.  But then you add in the difficulty with swallowing and the need to clear your throat, and it signals it more to me.  I would check into it!
sarahka-  I have to go with the response from moreblondeviolin.  I think you need to explore the possibility of GERD.  I have suffered from GERDs on and off for the past few years and usually I have no other symptoms than hoarseness, a cough and a tickle in my throat.  My primary care physician sent me to an ENT (throat specialist) when my signs of chronic sinusitis were clinically unfounded.   The ENT inserted a soft flexible tube into my throat and was able to view the esophagus immediately -- no further tests were needed at the time.  With medication I felt better in no time.  For the most part of the past few years I have done wonderfully without medication.  I have experienced a recent flare up due to another trigger of GERDs by an allergy-induced ashtma attack.

PLEASE insist that your doctor explore this possibility.   If he/she refuses then find a doctor who will.  GERD's needs to be treated -- it won't go away on it's own.   Good luck and feel better.
sound like when I had similar problems which were eventually tracked down to food related excess mucous - post nasal drip, constant coughing, choking/gagging on mucus in throat. At one stage I could not walk 50 metres without chest pain and breathlessness. That was very worrying. I tried a wheat/gluten free diet and imrpoved a lot, then found some soy additives and dairy still give me too much mucus. I recently tried wheat again and it seemed okay for about a week with small amounts but suddenyly it's all back after taking in more (like 3 slices of bread at a go). I backing off the wehat again. I spent YEARS trying to get the post nasal drip treated - they GPs always said it was pollen and prescribbed nasal steroid and antihitamine. Didn't help greatly and had side effects. Having no KNOWN allergies doesn't mean you don't in fact have some - esp some your might not have considered. good luck