Shortess of breath and tightness of chest
Ive been viewing the forum and am relieved to see other people facing the same problem as i am. i'm a 23 yr old female, perfectly healthy.
I'm facing a problem with shortness of breath and tightness of chest. Like a few mentioned in the forum i have to yawn several times before i can fill t deficit of the air to breathe and if i concentrate on it, i loose the breath. I have to yawn several times before i can take a deep breath which i require to, every few seconds. It was'nt this chronic earlier and ive been facing this for over 5 years.
When i first went to the doctor, she told me tht this could be because of stress and depression and i was put on anti depressant (cipralex), not that i could ever get it cured, but as a result i was on anti depressants for 3-4 years, cipralex, stablon, seroxat, none of which helped. To begin with i was not a depression patient at all, i started becoming very depressed, as a result breathing became worse and so did the depression. And from the past 2-3 months, my breathing pattern has become very painful. I cant breathe, cant lie down, cant eat, cant sit.
Do you have any suggestion?

This discussion is related to shortness of breath/chest tightness with no other symptoms.
HI there, so sorry you are going through all these horrible symptoms, the doctors seem to think that anti depressants can cure nearly everything,( if they cant find a cause)and if you wer'nt depressed before you end up with it after thte medication. Think you may have to ask to see a specalist as 4 years is a long time to have this trouble. Have you thought about hypnotherapy to mabey relax you ,until you can get to a medical specalist, sorry cant be of more help. Hope you start to heal soon
hey, yeah well have tried certain breathing exercises it helps, but temporarily. If i stop, it becomes as bad. I've surfed through the internet and the symptoms also suggest hyperthyroid. If you know anything else it'll be of great help.
OMG, I had this very same scarey and embarassing problem for a couple of years and thought it was going to kill me. I was FINALLY diagnosed with hypothyroidism and after I was treated for a couple of months, BING! Just like that, it was resolved. And so were my increasing anxiety symptoms. Prior to my treatment, I couldn't even sleep through the night without having to stand up several times during the night to yawn in the right position so I could "fill-up".

Three different doctors told me it was from stress and sent me home with anti-anxiety drugs. I KNEW it wasn't from stress and was sooooo happy when my TSH got high enough to treat. My heart goes out to you - it is so scarey not being able to fill up.

I will pray that you get this figured out and properly treated soon.
Thank you all for your posts. I helps to know that you are not alone. The information has been very useful. For the last 2 months I have experienced the symptoms including shortness of breath, tightness in my chest, bloating, being unable to yawn. It is scary sometimes. I try to stay calm by telling myself it will pass. This helps but doesn't solve the problem so I now I am not just having a panic attack. Allergy medicine has helped but only temporarily. I will definitely try changing my diet.
hey! sorry i have been off from here for a while. just read your post. i am going to go for my hypothyroid test soon after reading your answer since i do have a lot of symptoms suggesting the problem. although, my depression seems to have come down a lot but that is completely through some yoga, daily breathing excersises and some meditation. however, my breathing problem still persists. i forgot to mention how i cant even wear any clingy clothes because i feel the problem becomes worse if i do. thanks for your suggestion and your post :)
Hello. I am a 19 year old active female and I am also feeling the chest tightness/pain, shortness of breath, and I am even having palpitations. I've gone to a primary care doctor, a cardiologist, and a pulmonogist and everyone says all the tests came back fine. But with these symptoms happening almost all day long, I just dont understand how everything can be fine. Can anyone help?
Folks,

I have had this problem and it eventually led to a panic attack where I used to forget to breathe. It was really scary. I was on some anti-depressent drugs, addictive and used for treating people with mania, etc. Based on a friend's advice, I started on "Pranayamam" and slowly weaned myself away from medications. Now I am completely out of medication for more than 8 months, plus much better physical condition. I still get occasional shortness of breaths, but I am able to handle this much better. I play tennis regularly and I find that my stamina has improved dramatically -- I don't get out-of-breath that quickly, can play for an hour without any problem.

I don't know about a permanent solution, but do consider the breathing exercises suggested by Pranayamam. In particular, I do "kapal bathi" (10 minutes everyday) and "anlom vilom" (10 minutes everyday). There should be yoga classes teaching these techniques, plus DVDs available.

Hi GUYS, I AM 18 YEARS OLD AND FOR THE PAST MNTHS I HAVE BEEN HAVING PROBLEMS BREATHING AND TIGHTNESS IN MY CHEST THAT GOES TO MY BACK EVERYDAY....IT IS VERY SCARY AND WHEN IM AT SCHOOL...IT BOTHERS ME...I ALSO HAVE TIMES WHERE I THINK IM GONNA DIE BECAUSE OF THIS BUT READING POST HAS MADE ME FEEL ALOT BETTER.I AM A BASKETBALL PLAYER AND HAVE BEEN PLAYIN FOR 4 YEARS NOW....CAN SOMEONE PLEASE HELP ME WITH THIS.....I JUST DONT KNOW WHAT TO DO ANYMORE AND IM ASKING FOR SUPPORT, PRAYER, AND MOST OF ALL ADVICE.