Respiratory Disorders Expert Forum
Shortness of Breath/Yawning

This forum is for questions and support regarding lung and respiratory issues. such as: Allergies, Asthma, Bronchitis, Colds - Flu, Chronic Cough, COPD, Cystic Fibrosis, Emphysema, Fibrosis, Lung Abscess, Nasal Polyps, Pleurisy, Pneumonia, Sarcoidosis, Sinusitis, Tuberculosis.

Shortness of Breath/Yawning

I have read so many people with this same problem but most seem to have it on and off where as i have now had it continually every day since 4/1/12 there is not a day that goes by where i can feel i can breathe normally again. Some days are better than others but mostly every day is a struggle to get through.
I have seen the doctor and had a number of tests blood test showed aneamia, endoscopy showed nothing, chest xray fine and ecg showed a raised d-dimer? So i have had more blood tests taken today.
It seems to be made worst by eating/drinking hence i have now lost 18lbs since 4/1. I struggle daily to get that full breath but rarely can, i yawn alot i think my body trying to get a deep breath but nothing helps.
I wish something would show up on the tests and then i can go about either getting better or dealing with what ever it is. Does anyone have any ideas as to what it could be. It seems the doctor is now at a loss as to what to do next, i have a whole heap of blood tests done today so maybe they will show something.
THANK YOU X
I will assume that you meant to type 04/01/2011, not 2012.  The next steps in a diagnostic work-up should be a repeat complete pulmonary function testing (PFT’s to include inspiratory and expiratory flow-volume loops), a repeat chest X-ray, and (bicycle or treadmill) exercise study.  If the X-ray remains clear but the PFT’s are normal, you will probably need to have a CT Scan.

Elevation of the D-dimer is an indication of activation of blood coagulation.  It is most commonly elevated with the diagnosis of deep vein thrombosis and or pulmonary emboli (clots) but it is relatively non-specific and can be falsely elevated with advanced age and chronic inflammation of any type.   If not already done, in this circumstance of abnormal breathing, it would be appropriate for you to be evaluated for the diagnosis pulmonary emboli.

Three more thoughts.  That “it seems to be made worse by eating or drinking” may be  an indication of a swallowing disorder and finally, “yawning a lot” is a common symptom of chronic anxiety, with or without hyperventilation syndrome and what you describe would also be consistent with the diagnosis of a condition called vocal cord dysfunction (VCD).

Your doctors should attempt to diagnose the cause of the anemia as that might provide a clue as to what is causing your respiratory symptoms.  You note that “the doctor is now at a loss as what to do next.  Given that this condition has been going on for almost a year, a good next step would be to arrange for consultation with a lung specialist.

Good luck