Respiratory Disorders Community
Shortness of breath & Asthma.

This patient support community is for discussions relating to lung and respiratory issues, allergies, asthma, bronchitis, colds/flu, chronic cough, COPD, lung abscess, nasal polyps, pleurisy, pneumonia, sarcoidosis, and tuberculosis.

Shortness of breath & Asthma.

How do i treat my shortness of breath ?

This discussion is related to Excessive Mucus, Shortness of Breath.

Have you seen a doctor?  Treating asthma can be difficult, especially with out the guidance of a doctor.

You need to be on a maintenance medication with an inhaled steroid.  This should minimize the frequency of your symptoms.  When symptoms occur they should be treated with a form of albuterol inhaler.  There are several to chose from.

I hope that helps you some.

God bless.
Avatar_dr_f_tn
Hello and hope you are doing well.

Inadequate oxygenation can produce symptoms of breathlessness, as the body tries in an effort to compensate for the decreased oxygen supply. The breathlessness could be due to cardiac or lung disorders. Breathlessness on exertion could be due to the decreased lung function. Again in cardiac disorders the heart is unable to pump the blood adequately, more so when subjected to stress like exercise. Certain systemic disorders like anemia, diabetes, vitamin deficiencies and thyroid disorders can cause these symptoms. So please consult your primary care physician who may ask for an EKG or a treadmill test to rule out a cardiac cause for the symptoms. He may even ask for blood tests and an X ray chest. Lung function tests could further help in evaluation.

Hope this helped and do keep us posted.
Thank you people for the comments.

I checked with the doctor,he is a Pulmonologist. He advised me to take Brohchodilators twice everyday and also to practice regular exercises like jogging,cycling,yoga etc. especially during the mornings to feel better.
This technique will help with the breathing problem. The lungs will be exercised and extra oxygen will go into the heart.
Build up your timing gradually.If you feel tired or dizzy, stop and resume after one minute.

Anulom Vilom pranayam –
Close your right nostril with thumb and deep breath-in through left nostril  
then – close left nostril with two fingers and breath-out through right nostril  
then -keeping the left nostril closed  deep breath-in through right nostril
then - close your right nostril with thumb and breath-out through left nostril.
This is one cycle of anulom vilom.
Repeat this cycle for 20 to 30  minutes twice a day.
Children under 15 years – do 5 to 10 minutes twice a day.
You can do this before breakfast/lunch/dinner or before bedtime or in bed.Remember to take deep long breaths into the lungs.You can do this while sitting on floor or chair or lying in bed.
november 25 ,2011
this breathing exercise is so good and  I'd forgotten about it - I used to do it when I did yoga.  Slight difference is that after breathing in, hold the breath before breathing out.  I did (and now will do!) it all on a count of 8, so breath deep and slow for count of 8 through one nostril, close both nostrils and hold for 8, then breath out slow  and complete through other nostril for count of 8. Then go straight into next inhale.  It also is extremely relaxing!
I think the breathing technique you mentioned is a part of yhe program called Pranayam right? Anyways thank you for the advice.The fact is that there is a lot of pollution stagnating in the atmosphere at the place where i stay and this is quite annoying however when i visited Bhutan a month ago and all during the stay and travel in and around bhutan i had no respiratory problems or whatsoever.That country is covered with very beautiful landscapes and monastries.The air so pure over there that any smoker would instantly stop smoking after experiencing such breath taking views of mountains and rivers
Yes anulom vilom is part of the pranayam.
I have described the very simple method of doing it, and no counting or holding  the breath, is involved, and the brain can relax fully.
When you count, the brain has to work and  remember.
Anyway whatever method suits you is fine.