Respiratory Disorders Community
Shortness of breath, headaches

This patient support community is for discussions relating to lung and respiratory issues, allergies, asthma, bronchitis, colds/flu, chronic cough, COPD, lung abscess, nasal polyps, pleurisy, pneumonia, sarcoidosis, and tuberculosis.

Shortness of breath, headaches

In early December I went to the ER with shortness of breath. I had a chest x-ray, ct scan, and an EKG....everything came back as being normal and was sent home with an albuterol inhaler which didn't do anything, and a prescription for Klonopins. I have been taking the Klonopins for over a month now however I am still experiencing the shortness of breath. I stopped going to the gym for a month, as it seemed to get worse afterward, last night I started back and ran only 2 miles and felt like I couldn't breath. This morning I woke up with a headache so bad I felt as if I had drank a whole bottle of vodka the night before. Is there something seriously wrong with me or could this just be anxiety?
Have you seen your regular doctor since your visit to the ER? If not, please do so, it wouldn't hurt to get his or her input in all of this. If you are short of breath during exercise then it could be exercise induced asthma. I am not a doctor, so please take what I say with a grain of salt...only your doctor can officially diagnose you based on exam and tests. One thing that the doctor can do is to do a test called spirometry at rest and during exercise. Even monitoring your peak flows during exercise might be a quick easy test to see if your airway clamps down during exercise. There are other tests, such as the methacholine test with full PFT's (pulmonary function tests) etc...but your doc will determine what to order  based on what he sees. There are other reasons for shortness of breath with exertion, yes one of them is anxiety but physical problems should be ruled out first. Hope I have helped..Sunny