Respiratory Disorders Community
Shortness of breath, light headed, chest pains??

This patient support community is for discussions relating to lung and respiratory issues, allergies, asthma, bronchitis, colds/flu, chronic cough, COPD, lung abscess, nasal polyps, pleurisy, pneumonia, sarcoidosis, and tuberculosis.

About 2 months ago I went to the doctor because I wasnt breathing right. They gave me antibiotics for walking phnemonia and prescribed me an inhaler. I finished the antibiotics but I'm still having the same problems only worse. It feels like when I breathe it doesnt go past my chest almost like there is something in there like mucus or something. I on occasion can cough up mucus but at first it was white and now its turned to yellow and its almost like gel. Its not like the normal slimy kind. When I stand up I feel like I'm going to pass out. I cant get a good deep breath at all and its hard to even take small ones. My chest only hurts when I try to breathe kind of like heart burn. I've still been using the inhaler and that helps a little but I still feel like I cant breathe. I've been really worried about it here as of lately and I'm starting night shift at walmart tonight so I'm hopin that this wont affect my work and I'm really scared that I might pass out. I've had this problem for 2 months and no fever or anything accept this morning it was 99. I do smoke but I only smoke about 5 or 6 a day so I'm not heavy. My throat has also started getting irritated since last night. Its just really red. I know that I have stuff in my chest but it feels like its hard or something and I cant get it out. I never can get the mucus up. It stops at the back of my throat and makes me sick. I really need some suggestions as to what this might be because I'm starting work and I do plan to go to the doctor this week but I kind of want some suggestions as to what I should have done that really wouldnt cost much because I cant afford it or anyone whose had these symptoms and found out what it is???

This discussion is related to tight chest,shortness of breath and light headed.
Hi Tiffany12090, Welcome to MedHelp

The main tests would be Chest X-ray, Complete blood count, sputum culture (phlegm), and physical exam.

It could be mycoplasma pneumonia, virus, or even fungal. If they didn't identify the exact pathogen you may have got the wrong treatment.

I don't now what non infectous process could cause this except reactive airway to the cigarettes.

If you don't have health insurance, the biggest bang for your buck would be the sputum culture.

Take care