Respiratory Disorders Community
Shortness of breath, pain in throat under adams apple

This patient support community is for discussions relating to lung and respiratory issues, allergies, asthma, bronchitis, colds/flu, chronic cough, COPD, lung abscess, nasal polyps, pleurisy, pneumonia, sarcoidosis, and tuberculosis.

I'm a 23 year old male. Since mid July 2010 I've been having some shortness of breath and dry cough with very little mucus coming out. When the mucus comes out it's clear and in small amount. Initially this problem started after I was out with a few friends smoked hookah. The hookah pipe was dirty and I remember spitting black stuff out from the pipe and then I stopped smoking. I don't smoke normally at all and even hookah once every 3 or 4 months.

So I went to see a doctor. He did a chest x-ray and said that it was all normal. He then said I had strep throat and  gave me AMOXICILLIN (antibiotic) and sent me away. The antibiotics helped a little bit but as soon as it got over my symptoms came back.

So then I went to the hospital ER when it got REALLY BAD...and the hospital did another chest xray, neck xray and an EKG. Everything came back normal. So they said I had air reactive disease and gave me zyrtec-D and sent me away.

Then I went to another doctor and he gave me steroids and a set of inhalers.  While I was on the steroids I was a little better but as SOON as I got done with steroids my symptoms came back again.

Then I went to my PCP, and he gave me Allegra(fexofenadine [might be wrong spelling]), so he gave me fexofenadine for a month..and I'm just taking it daily.  At this point my symptoms are better than before for example my dry cough is almost completely gone until I have the shortness of breath,I still have the shortness of breath (it gets worse sometimes but other times it's better) and also I have this pain that  is below my adams apple...I've also had this since the beginning....when I bend over i can clearly feel 2/3 of the pathway below my adams apple that is in pain. It's not an excruciating pain but it's a pain that makes me think that my shortness of breath/lack of mucus/dry cough has to do something with this.

Please any advice would be appreciated. I've been healthy all my life, I barely drink and don't smoke at all. I've never smoked cigs.