Respiratory Disorders Expert Forum
Shortness of breath and rapid heart beat

This forum is for questions and support regarding lung and respiratory issues. such as: Allergies, Asthma, Bronchitis, Colds - Flu, Chronic Cough, COPD, Cystic Fibrosis, Emphysema, Fibrosis, Lung Abscess, Nasal Polyps, Pleurisy, Pneumonia, Sarcoidosis, Sinusitis, Tuberculosis.

I am a 53 year old female with a life long history of severe Asthma. About 6 month ago I started experiencing severe shortness of breath (unlike asthma) with a heart rate of over 130, chest pain, light headed,and sweaty upon any kind of movement. I'm currently on oxygen and have had a complete work-up. PFT-severe restriction, and moderate obstruction (probably due to asthma), Echo-diastolic dysfunction, mild tricuspid insufficiency with pulmonary artery systolic prssure of 30 mmhg. Using oxygen allows me to function better but my SPo2 stays around normal most of the time even without oxygen. Can this be pulmonary hypertension caused by my chronic severe asthma.      
Asthma, with rare exceptions, does not cause pulmonary hypertension.  The exception would be the rare form of asthma that results in progressive worsening airway obstruction, similar to that seen with COPD.  Even in that circumstance, with or without low oxygen levels, the pulmonary hypertension is usually mild (as is yours) and associated with a rapid heart rate.  The most likely diagnosis would be a recurrent problem in the rhythm of your heart rate due to some other cause.

Getting an ECHO was the right move.  That does not seem to explain the rapid heart rate.  You would do well to consult with a cardiologist to first determine the type of rhythm disturbance you have and then find out the cause.  There are diseases that do not involve the heart directly but can result in rapid heart beats.  Some of these are hormonal such as an overactive thyroid gland, or a tumor of the adrenal gland and your doctors may want to look for those as well.