Respiratory Disorders Community
Sick & Tired of being sick & tired (ANY HELP WOULD BE GREATLY A...

This patient support community is for discussions relating to lung and respiratory issues, allergies, asthma, bronchitis, colds/flu, chronic cough, COPD, lung abscess, nasal polyps, pleurisy, pneumonia, sarcoidosis, and tuberculosis.

Sick & Tired of being sick & tired (ANY HELP WOULD BE GREATLY APPRECIATED)

I apologize in advance for the lengthiness & any rambling (as the sole supporter this is extremely important to me & my family so I'm a bit emotional about it)
I had a merca infection on my right leg that persisted for 2 yrs in the mid 90s. I was born with Congenital Varicella Syndrome (mother had chicken pox 1st trimester...I've battled some neurological delays and still have some problems similar to mild cerebral palsy & asperger's syndrome; I was tested & confirmed at birth born immune to chicken pox & therefore suffered in the womb & WAS VERY LUCKY that I had the functioning that I did). I suffer from petit mal seizures and get migraines. I survived 8 yrs ago a major auto accident by recovering from a head concussion (thankfully my already Torticollis-affected neck & my scoliosis back for the most part was intact) whereas the passenger unfortunately received a paraplegic spinal cord injury. I've dealt with allergy shots & 2 nasal obstruction corrective surgeries (I had others not related to this). Per my ENT(s) orders over the last 20 yrs I've worked extremely hard to make my environment allergy-free as possible and ceased from using any anti-allergy/sinus medicines in order to avoid rebound effects. And, I've suffered from chronic strep/pneumonia infections at least once a year for most of my life.  

The reason I'm stating all this is 6 yrs ago it seems like I got the illness that finally defeated me that I now refer to as the "triple threat." All at once I got mono/strep/pneumonia (my tonsils were taken out right after as a result), which at the time, didn't seem like that big a deal (I fainted at work with a 106 fever before I was rushed to the hospital; nonetheless, I was used to getting high fevers with my strep/pneumonia infections since I was little and always recovered quickly with antibiotics). Since the "triple threat" I feel my health has been diminishing rapidly. Even though I'm now 40 I seem to have become weaker than my parents who are in their mid 70s. Please know I was in a REALLY good place at the time as far as emotionally, financially, spiritually & physically just I got sick. Now it seems like my body is literally falling apart overnight. I'm getting all these meningocele cysts down my spine. I've become increasingly anemic despite my attempt at eating the healthiest diet with all the appropriate vitamin supplements. I exercise as much as my body can handle.  My stress level has only gotten worse since I got the "triple threat."  My migraines have been so frequent that I was diagnosed with cluster headaches (you would think I would have head pain immediately following my head concussion which was 2 yrs earlier which did not make my migraines worse). Within the 1st yr of having the "triple threat" all but one of my cervical discs have become herniated, my thoracic discs are slowly (& oddly) imploding, while my lumbar discs are becoming herniated from the bottom up (all my lumbar discs are now herniated but they are still worsening year to year. I recently dislocated my right sacroiliac joint, got frozen shoulder on both sides and have had problems with my both my knees giving out (I was just told that I had to been born with buckling knees but they never bothered me like now). I now take a beta blocker to deal with high blood pressure that only happens when I have a flare-up, however.
Another symptom that has become much worse (I thought might be telling as to why I feel sick all the time) is instead of the nonstop mostly-clear-but-sometimes-discolored nasal discharge I have had dealt with most of my life has turned into nonstop white nasal discharge & the volume of it has increased tenfold. My understanding is white nasal discharge means it's filled with a variety of cells to fight an infection.  Despite that my ENT swears I do not have a chronic sinus infection or any polyps (I did have chronic maxillary sinus disease in my 20s but with surgery it's supposedly been gone since which is back up by several CT scans). I've also been told it's not my allergies because my environment hasn't changed (it's still as allergy free as ever) and what I'm allergic to hasn't changed with age according to my ENT per testing he did again. Nonetheless, I was wondering how if constant white nasal discharge (which the ENT blames on my migraines) indicates fighting an infection then how can I have this constant reaction 24 hrs/7 days a week for the last 6 yrs? And if this true is that why my body feels like I'm 400 yrs old instead of 40. And, is this at all related to the mono/strep/pneumonia at all? Also, I found out weeks after I was discharged from the hospital that I might have had meningitis before I got the "triple threat" because of some symptoms I described at the time (I was in & out of consciousness for a while so I don't remember) but they said I was recovering well so I never got a spinal tap to confirm this.  Finally, does having Congenital Varicella Syndrome make complicate having mono because I thought they are in a similar family of diseases?
Anyway, I really just want to feel better & ANY HELP WITH THIS WOULD VERY MUCH BE APPRECIATED (if not for me than I would appreciate for my daughter's sake since I'm her only parent). Thank you so much for your time in reading this.    
(Note: I've heard about Chronic Fatigue Syndrome but I don't think it's that because my symptoms are VERY specific.  I don't get general aches; the areas affected on my MRIs are the areas that flare up - confirmed by high SED rates in the hospital - so Fibromyalgia has also been ruled out; I had a negative ANA test although it wasn't during a flare-up as the only reason I was tested this one time is a doctor had heard that having mono late in life has been linked to other autoimmune diseases; wasn't sure if that was worth exploring any further...I'm really tired of having to go to the doctors & just want my life back.)

This discussion is related to permanent mucus in the nose!!.
Avatar_dr_f_tn
Hello and hope you are doing well.

Understand your predicament. The constant runny nose and nasal congestion could be due to vasomotor rhinitis, in which the symptoms occur in response to a trigger, like eating spicy food or going outside in the cold.  The primary treatment is simply avoiding the things that trigger your symptoms. It is often treated with a drying nasal spray (like Atrovent) and antihistamines like chlopheneramine and lovatidine are effective. Nasal decongestant drops too relieve congestion. Please discuss this with your doctor am sure he will provide further assistance.

Hope this helped and do keep us posted.