Respiratory Disorders Expert Forum
Side Effects of a gallbladder and colon cancer surgery

This forum is for questions and support regarding lung and respiratory issues. such as: Allergies, Asthma, Bronchitis, Colds - Flu, Chronic Cough, COPD, Cystic Fibrosis, Emphysema, Fibrosis, Lung Abscess, Nasal Polyps, Pleurisy, Pneumonia, Sarcoidosis, Sinusitis, Tuberculosis.

my husband 60 years old had a colon surgery and gallbladder surgery as well. He has been diagnosed with colon cancer lll b. The surgery was a month from today (6-8-13). He's being prepared to start chemo in about two weeks from today.
After his surgery, he has experimenting heavy night sweats, shortness of breath, and coughing.
Are the night sweats a consequence of the colon surgery? he sweats every night, wetting the bed. My a/c is working fine, and the house environment is fresh and cool.
Aside from the night sweats he has shortness of breath and a strange coughing. He had a chest x ray, that reads, EVENTRATION OF THE RIGHT HEMIDIAPHRAGM ANTERIORLY. In other words, his diaphragm is elevated.
Our doctors are paying any attention to this elevation.
My questions are: IS IT NORMAL TO HAVE NIGHT SWEATS AFTER SURGERY, AND IF THE DIAPHRAGM IS ELEVATED, WHAT SHOULD BE DONE TO FIX THIS PROBLEM.... Remember, he will be starting his chemo in two more weeks.
I, am the wife, I am very worried.............please answer..........God bless you
Night sweats are not a consequence of colon surgery, but would be consistent with infection, the most likely sites of infection being his lungs or his abdomen, especially at the site of his surgery.  

The first step would be for his doctors to consider the possibility of infection, specifically what is called a sub-diaphragmatic abscess, in which case the diaphragmatic eventration could be a sign of infection most likely beneath the diaphragm.  A CT scan of the abdomen could be quite informative in this circumstance.  But, before that, a measurement of his white blood cell count (WBC), if elevated, would also be a sign of infection.

It is not uncommon for such infections to become evident, three or more weeks after surgery.

Do not hesitate to request that your husband’s doctors take an aggressive approach to the diagnosis and treatment of whatever has caused his fever and eventration.  It may be appropriate to request a 2nd opinion from another surgeon or an infectious disease specialist.

Good luck