Respiratory Disorders Expert Forum
Sinus Disease

This forum is for questions and support regarding lung and respiratory issues. such as: Allergies, Asthma, Bronchitis, Colds - Flu, Chronic Cough, COPD, Cystic Fibrosis, Emphysema, Fibrosis, Lung Abscess, Nasal Polyps, Pleurisy, Pneumonia, Sarcoidosis, Sinusitis, Tuberculosis.

Sinus Disease

I have had numerous infections since January 2004.  I have had Mono, Strep Throat and numerous sinus infections.  I have seen my family doctor and an Allergist.  The allergist did a scratch test and I had no reactions.  Finally, my family doctor had me get a CT Scan and I was diagnosed with Sinus Disease.  They put me on Cortisone and antibiotics and now I am on AllegraD.  Keep in mind that I have been given different typed of antibiotic for the past 6 months.  I have been ok for about a month and am getting another sore throat.  I am going to have sinus surgery, but before I do I wanted to see what others have to say about this.  Any information you can give me would be greatly appreciated.
Sinusitis is an inflammation of the mucous membranes that line the sinus cavities.  Inflammation of the sinuses could be due to an allergy, an infection, or ongoing exposure to an irritant, such as pollution or smoke.  The best way to identify a sinus infection is with a sinus CT scan, although sinus x-rays are a decent alternative.  A sinus CT scan will also identify if any of the openings that drain your sinuses are blocked.  If your sore throat is due to sinusitis, it will last as long as the inflammation continues.  Here are some ways to clear up the inflammation.  Please check with your doctor to see which of these would work best for you.  Usually sinus surgery is considered when these techniques have not been helpful.  Please read our Sinusitis MedFact at http://www.nationaljewish.org/medfacts/sin.html for more information.

The most common cause of sinusitis is an infection, especially when the mucus is green.  Sinus infections can be difficult to treat since they respond slowly.  When any of the openings that drain your sinuses are blocked it will take longer to clear a sinus infection.  If a viral infection is the cause it
See:
http://www.entnet.org/healthinfo/sinus/sinus_surgery.cfm
Fact Sheet: Sinus Surgery
------------
http://www.aafp.org/afp/980901ap/slack.html
Functional Endoscopic Sinus Surgery
"Functional endoscopic sinus surgery is a minimally invasive technique used to restore sinus ventilation and normal function. The most suitable candidates for this procedure have recurrent acute or chronic infective sinusitis, and an improvement in symptoms of up to 90 percent may be expected following the procedure. Fiberoptic telescopes are used for diagnosis and during the procedure, and computed tomography is used to assess the anatomy and identify diseased areas. Functional endoscopic sinus surgery should be reserved for use in patients in whom medical treatment has failed. The procedure can be performed under general or local anesthesia on an outpatient basis, and patients usually experience minimal discomfort. The complication rate for this procedure is lower than that for conventional sinus surgery. "
-------------
http://asthma.nationaljewish.org/about/relationships/sinusitis.php    Sinusitis
"For a small group of patients medications alone are not enough to completely clear sinus infection and inflammation. For those patients who fail to respond to medical treatment and have significant symptoms, surgery may provide a very important option in their care. However, surgery is not a cure for most forms of sinusitis and must be used in combination with appropriate medication. New technologies and advanced techniques in the field of endoscopic sinus surgery allow for improved patient outcome, fewer complications and more rapid recovery."

You may also find some interesting information in a book called Sinus Survival, by Dr. Robert Ivker, D.O.