Respiratory Disorders Expert Forum
Sinus Vs. Mouth Mucus

This forum is for questions and support regarding lung and respiratory issues. such as: Allergies, Asthma, Bronchitis, Colds - Flu, Chronic Cough, COPD, Cystic Fibrosis, Emphysema, Fibrosis, Lung Abscess, Nasal Polyps, Pleurisy, Pneumonia, Sarcoidosis, Sinusitis, Tuberculosis.

Sinus Vs. Mouth Mucus

This may seem like a very broad or silly question but i am having this argument with my father. I like to blow my nose into my bathroom sink. Tissues tear up my nose, and I dont like them. I prefer the sink because it easy, no tissues, all goes down the drain, and i can wash my hands right there. I seem to be the only one that finds this normal and smart.  My father thinks its the most repulsive and dirty thing in the world. I am basically looking for something to help me win my argument. Im trying to use the argument that the nasty toothpaste you spit out into the sink filled with bacteria is no worse than me blowing my nose.   Does anyone have any thoughts or can confirm or deny this? Im NOT saying that it is healthy or more sanitary than dirty toothpaste. Im just looking for it to be on the same level. Im assuming  the argument will say that mucus from your nose from a head cold could be more contagious than things in your spit/saliva/ and tartar and plaque filled toothpast.    Thank You for any kind of response.
1 Comment
Hi There L3RD,

Well, I will say this.  Most Dr's tell those of us w/ thick nasal mucous to do "Nasal Washes" which consist of leaning over a sink, and pouring Saline Solution through one nostril & it drains thru the opposite nostril into the sink.  Some use a small pot called a "Neti Pot" others use a small bottle specially made for this purpose, others use a large syringe - whatever, but it HELPS tremendously.  YES it is GROSS, but it is necessary for those of us with severe Allergy, Sinus etc. Probs.  

I just had Sinus Surgery & was having to do nasal washes five times a day!!!!  And - not to be gross, BUT on top of the nasty Mucous, there was blood, blood clots, etc.  The most important thing is to clean the sink well with Disinfectant after each use for this purpose (Perhaps you could keep the Disinfectant wipes or Spray next to the sink & use it after each time you do this in the sink & rinse it down?  Would this possibly satisfy your dad?)

I don't like tissues either, but I can't run into the Bathroom everytime I must blow either.  But - To Each his own!  If you are more comfortable doing this then I believe your father should keep quiet about his opinion on the subject.

My mother is able to "Spit Up" mucous, which sounds totally disgusting!  However, I WISH I could do this, but alas I cannot, so my Mucuos buildup gets really bad & I have to use 3 Nasal Sprays, Mucomyst Liquid twice a day, OTC & Prescription Cough Med's w/ decongestants as needed AND a Nasal (as well as a Pulmonary) Nebulizer.

So believe me - if I could "Spit it UP" No Matter who hated it I'd DO IT!!

Once again, remind your father that Dr's actually do tell their patients to do this 1 to 4 times daily as needed for their situation.  So it's not really all that "Foreign or Weird".

Hope this helps you.