Respiratory Disorders Expert Forum
Sinus and back neck pain

This forum is for questions and support regarding lung and respiratory issues. such as: Allergies, Asthma, Bronchitis, Colds - Flu, Chronic Cough, COPD, Cystic Fibrosis, Emphysema, Fibrosis, Lung Abscess, Nasal Polyps, Pleurisy, Pneumonia, Sarcoidosis, Sinusitis, Tuberculosis.

Sinus and back neck pain

I frequently have sinus pressure behind the eyes.  At the same time I have swollen neck glands and pain in the back of my neck.  Are these problems related?  The pain is almost too much to bare and happens much more frequently than I like.  Over the counter drugs dont help much.  A hot shower directed to the back of the neck helps most but is only temporary.  These symptoms usually last a week at a time.  Can anyone help....
It is hard to determine what could cause the types of symptoms you are describing.  Swollen neck glands are common following drainage from allergy symptoms and infections of the throat and sinuses.  These swollen glands do not usually cause pain in the back of the neck.  Because the pain in the neck gets better with a hot shower, this may indicate some tension, which is causing the pain that is relieved by heat.  The pressure and pain behind your eyes may or may not be related to the sinuses.  With all that you are experiencing, it may be reasonable to talk about having a CT scan of the sinuses with your doctor.  This would show if the sinuses are inflamed or infected.  If this is the case, it could have a lot to do with what you are describing.
I have the same problems. A lot of sinus pressure behind my ears and eyes and all along the back of my neck.  It makes me sick to my stomache.  My sinuses are constantly draining in the back of my throat and my nose is always stopped up.  I have lost my sense of smell.  The neck pain is unbearable and locks up so bad that I cant turn it in any direction and my arms become tingly and numb.  My ears are also always plugged and itchy.  Any idea if this could all be related and what kind of doctor I should see?  I have had an MRI and Xrays done they both look fine.  Thanks for any info you can provide.
After a car accident in October 2000, I have had all of the symptoms you are describing.  I use WELL MAX (Biochem Country Life)  To clear up my sinus.  I take 2 three times a day for 10 days.  It works as a natural antibiotic (it clears lungs and breathing passages also).  And it seems to keep me healthy.  At the first sign of cold or sinus, I start taking them.   I also have been told it stops or controls asthma.   The other problem of neck, shoulders, headache.  I use a chiropractor; your neck could be out of alignment.  Which will give you one heck of a headache.  All the pressure just builds up.  Once you are in alignment, exercises from a physical therapy will help keep you there.  But when I stop exercising the headaches come back.   A deep, deep massage will also help.  It breaks up the problem and the pain will go away.  Good Luck.
I also have neck pain that always corresponds with sinus trouble - which I have often.  I've had years of allergy shots, chirpractor, nothing works. I have a new pillow that makes my neck feel so much better in the morning, but by noon my neck hurts again at the base of my head inthe back.   If i bend forward the pain moves into my head and face and throbs.