Respiratory Disorders Expert Forum
Sinus drainage, pain around eyes, etc.

This forum is for questions and support regarding lung and respiratory issues. such as: Allergies, Asthma, Bronchitis, Colds - Flu, Chronic Cough, COPD, Cystic Fibrosis, Emphysema, Fibrosis, Lung Abscess, Nasal Polyps, Pleurisy, Pneumonia, Sarcoidosis, Sinusitis, Tuberculosis.

Sinus drainage, pain around eyes, etc.

I'm having trouble understanding what is going on with me and why I don't seem to get any better.  After several years of enduring what seemed to me to feel like allergies or asthma, I finally went to see a specialist a couple of months ago.  I was having chest tightness, occasional lightheadedness, a dry cough, some sinus drainage and headaches, and what I might describe as flu-like symptoms.  The breathing difficulties and chest discomfort worried me the most.  I felt that I was usually sicker in the fall and winter when the house was closed up and sometimes for a while in early spring.  I was tested for allergies (airborne) and asthma and was negative on both.  So, the allergist then did a test where he looked up in my nasal passages with some kind of scope.  Since then, I am experiencing terrible pain around my eyes and what feels like eye dryness, night and day.  (He also told me to use Rhinocort, which I felt was making my throat and nose dry and irritated.)  The last time I used the Rhinocort was 2 weeks ago and when I lay down at night and my sinuses begin to drain, I can still "smell/taste" what I think the Rhinocort smelled like.  I'm having some chest tightness now again also (is this related?) and I'm getting very tired and worried about being so sick again this year with no help or answers.   I thought the eye pain was coming (as a side effect) on after having been taking Prevacid for about 6 wks., so I discontinued that about 3 or so weeks ago.  Could this be some sort of allergy even though I tested negative for that?
It is difficult to know what exactly is going on. Someone can experience all the symptoms you have described even when he or she are not allergic. This can be from a sinus infection or a nonspecific inflammation called vasomotor rhinitis. It is hard to know if the difficulty breathing is coming from your lungs or from your upper airways. The Rhinocort
If there was a problem with my lungs, would it show up in a chest x-ray or in the methacholine challenge test?  Because I had both of these and they turned out okay.  Also, could anyone clearly explain vasomotor rhinitis to me...the allergist mentioned this as a possibility also, but I'm not clear on all of the symptoms it could cause.   I am trying Benadryl Sinus med. right now to see if I notice any improvement...hoping.  Also, how can I find the culprit (if it is vasomotor rhinitis) and help myself to get well???  I appreciate any response.