Respiratory Disorders Expert Forum
Sinus drainage and phlegm in chest

This forum is for questions and support regarding lung and respiratory issues. such as: Allergies, Asthma, Bronchitis, Colds - Flu, Chronic Cough, COPD, Cystic Fibrosis, Emphysema, Fibrosis, Lung Abscess, Nasal Polyps, Pleurisy, Pneumonia, Sarcoidosis, Sinusitis, Tuberculosis.

Sinus drainage and phlegm in chest

Hi, I have post-nasal drip from allergies.  My sinuses are really irratated and I am positive it is not an infection.  I take Astelin, Nasonex, Zyrtec, and Singulair everyday.  I am allergic to pseudoephedrin, aspirin, amoxicillan and erythromycin.  I now have build up in my chest and drainage affecting my throat and voice.  Besides expertorant and nasal wash, which I have been doing are there any other suggestions.  I am assuming this recent flare up is due to visiting my sister who has a dog I am allergic to, but I would appreciate any additional advice because this does occur when pollen counts are very high.  Thanks!
Postnasal drip is drainage from the nose and sinuses dripping down the back of the throat.  There could be several reasons for this drainage.  One reason is an allergy, like yours to dogs and pollen.  A second reason is a non-allergic, non-infectious irritation in the sinuses that can linger after a cold.  A third reason is chronic irritation of the sinuses.  Postnasal drip can cause a build up in the chest along with irritation of the throat and voice.

The fat content in dairy products can thicken mucus.  Generally eating dairy products with less fat content is helpful.  Drinking plenty of water will help to thin the mucus so that it moves more easily.  As long as you are not on a fluid restriction you should be drinking 6 to 8 8-ounce glasses of non-caffeine non-alcoholic fluid daily.

An antihistamine, like the Zyrtec